Recipe with instructions for your own homemade salmon roll sushi.
This is a spicy inside-out sushi roll with raw salmon fish. I have added instructions for using cured salmon.
This recipe is part of my food expert series. I put this recipe together with Momoko, my Japanese food expert, a native and world expat.
What's a salmon roll?
A salmon roll is a modern sushi with a salmon avocado filling.
It's not a traditional Japanese Asian maki sushi, but rather a sushi type that was popularized by the west.
These are called inside-out sushi or uramaki sushi because there is rice on the inside and outside, and the nori seaweed in between. Regular maki are known as futomaki.
Whoever invented the california roll, made these sushi rolls famous in the west and they have become popular in Japan as well over the years.
The salmon roll was apparently invented by Norwegians. It was a convenient way to use up fresh raw salmon.
Ironically, salmon sushi is the most popular sushi variety today in Japan!
You will need a handful of ingredients ready.
- nori seaweed sheets - unflavored plain maki nori seaweed
- cooked sushi rice
- fresh avocado
- salmon - raw and fresh sashimi grade OR you can use smoked cured salmon too
- Japanese Mayonnaise (kewpie) with sriracha sauce
- Sesame Seeds
American Mayonnaise may be used as a substitute to the Japanese Mayo.
If you don't want it spicy, skip the sriracha hot sauce.
If you don't have sriracha but you still want it spicy, you can use any other hot sauce too such as tabasco or mango habanero.
How to make it?
Making sushi at home is easy but you need to follow some steps to get thigh and clean sushi slices.
The complete recipe with US and metric measurements and detailed instructions is located further below.
Keep inrgedients ready.
Prep sushi rice, cut avocado slices and slice salmon.
Combine mayonnaise with hot sauce to make a spicy mayo.
Spread a layer of cooked rice over nori sheet.
Turn the sheet and spread remaining rice over ⅓ of the sheet.
Pour mayonnaise in one line over the center.
Arrange salmon and avocado over the mayonnaise and rice part.
Start to roll in sushi slowly and press down with both hands carefully while rolling steadily to create a tight sushi roll.
Spread some sesame seeds over the bamboo mat and roll in so that the outside is covered with sesame seeds.
Cut sushi into 8 thick slices. Clean your knife with water frequently to make smooth perfect cuts.
I love to dip my sushi in mixed soy sauce and wasabi. You can also serve some citrusy ponzu dipping sauce with this salmon sushi roll.
To clean the palate, I enjoy some pickled Japanese ginger slices. It's refreshing and brightens up the taste experience.
If I have tobiko, flying fish roe, I will add that too. Turning this sushi into a healthier gourmet dinner meal!
2 cups cooked and prepared sushi rice are required for 2 rolls, so 1 cup for 1 roll.
No, you can't, you need the mat to roll a tight roll.
When preparing inside out sushi rolls, you will need to wrap your bamboo mat in a plastic wrap. That way the rice won't stick to the mat and you can roll a tight perfect roll in ease.
Hold and gently press down, while slowly rolling in your maki sushi, bit by bit. See video.
No because it uses raw fish. Except if you intend on using smoked salmon, than you can store this sushi for a day in your fridge at most.
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Spicy Salmon Roll Sushi Recipe
- Keep all ingredients ready. The cooked prepared sushi rice for one. Slice the avocado into 8 pieces and the salmon into 3 slices, cut one of the 3 slices into two.
- Prepare spicy mayo by combining mayo with sriracha. Best is to pour it into a squeeze bottle, so to pour it easily in one line later over the sushi rice.
- Place your nori seaweed on your Sushi mat. Use a sushi mat wrapped in plastic so that the sushi won't stick.
- Spread almost half of your cooked (keep about 2-3 Tablespoons aside) rice all over your nori seaweed. The rice has to cover the seaweed completely and it needs to be an even layer.
- Turn the rice covered seaweed and spread the 2-3 Tablespoons of rice over one half of your seaweed, but keep about 1 inch or 2-centimeter distance from the bottom end of your seaweed. Spread it out to an even layer.
- Pour spicy mayonnaise in one line in the center of the rice.
- Place 1½ slices of salmon over the mayo line.
- Arrange 4 (2 large and 2 small) avocado slices over the salmon.
- Take the seaweed with the toppings to the border of your plastic-wrapped mat, hold with both hands and start to roll in your sushi.
- Continue to roll in your sushi and press down with both hands to create a tight wrap. Roll until you have a tight sushi roll
- Place sushi roll on one side of your mat and sprinkle sesame seeds all over the rest of the mat.
- Roll so that the inside-out sushi is picking up the sesame seeds and the roll is completely covered with sesame seeds.
- Take the sushi from the bamboo mat and cut it into 1 inch or 2 centimeter thick slices or so that you are left with 8 thick slices.
- Arrange the salmon roll on a serving plate and serve with soya wasabi dipping options and some pickled sliced ginger.
- Use cooked sushi rice only and please follow my recipe to make sushi rice.
- Use fresh raw sashimi-grade salmon filet. If you don't want raw fish, use a smoked cured salmon instead.
- Nori is seaweed. Use unflavored plain maki sushi nori seaweed sheets to make this recipe.
- Japanese sushi is made with Japanese mayonnaise. It tastes a bit different from American mayonnaise but you can use that too as a substitution. See my Japanese mayo recipe on how to turn American mayo into a Japanese flavored mayo.
- This is a spicy sushi roll so we add sriracha hot sauce, but you can add any other hot sauce too such as tabasco.
- Instead of mayo and sriracha, you can use my homemade spicy mayo sauce too.
- Top with black or white sesame seeds or both together.
- It's important to roll in the sushi slowly and as tight as possible. Take your time and press carefully down with both hands while rolling in.
- Sushi Bamboo Mat