A simple turnip salad to serve up as a side dish salad with your meals.
📕 What is it?
This is a simple raw turnip salad prepared with shredded turnips.
It's inspired by the radish salad, which is commonly prepared and served in Germany and Austria.
Turnips grow plentiful in summer, and there are not that many great recipes for them.
So, I came up with this shredded salad recipe, which by the way is a delight!
This salad can be served as a side dish salad and it comes with a simple dressing.
It's slightly crunchy in texture and the sharp raw turnip flavor is mellowed down by the oil and vinegar. It has got character!
Turnips are also low carb friendly and this salad is also vegan.
This is a quick overview to help you get going.
- turnips - fresh
- black pepper
- vinegar - apple cider vinegar, a flavored vinegar of your choice or regular synthetic kitchen vinegar
- oil - vegetable oil or cannola or sunflower
You can garnish your salad with freshly chopped chives or parsley.
🔪 How to make it?
The full recipe with ingredients and US and metric measurements is located further below in the recipe card.
Separate turnip roots from the greens. You can make a soup with turnip greens.
Rinse turnips, peel and cut into large manageable chunks.
Prepare the dressing by combining salt, black pepper, oil and vinegar.
Pour dressing over shredded turnip and toss ingredients.
Garnish with chives or parsley.
The salad can be stored in your fridge for about 4-5 days in an airtight container.
I like to use transparent glass containers, that way I see the salad and I don't forget it.
This salad is great if you need to meal prep for the week.
The turnip salad is served in small portions.
I enjoy this salad with most German or Austrian main course meals or soups.
It can also be used the same way as you would enjoy a beetroot salad, with other Western main course meals.
Pork roasts, chicken roasts, clear soup and dumplings, fries and wieners, goulash soup, Schnitzel, pasta bake, you name it! Most main course meals a great with this basic side dish salad.
👁️ More Turnip Recipes
Global Food Recipes
with Spices and Herbs
Free E-Book available for a limited time. Grab yours now and get instantly inspired!
You missed out!
Simple Turnip Salad Recipe
- Separate turnip greens from the roots.1 pound Turnips
- Rinse and scrub roots to remove mud and impurities. Weigh your roots.
- Peel turnips, cut off bad pieces, and cut them into large manageable chunks.
- Shred your turnip chunks with a kitchen machine or by hand. *see Notes
- Combine the dressing ingredients.½ Teaspoon Salt, Black Pepper Ground, ⅓ cup Vinegar, ½ cup Oil
- Pour dressing over shredded turnip and mix up.
- Garnish with freshly chopped chives or parsley.Chives or Parsley Fresh
- If you use a kitchen machine to shred your turnips, it will take only 15 minutes max. If you intend to shred your turnips by hand, be aware that this might take 30 minutes and that it might get tiring. Use a kitchen machine as seen in the shredded carrot salad.
- Use the greens in a soup for a zero waste and sustainable kitchen.
- something to shred your turnips