Authentic french carrot salad family recipe prepared from scratch, quick and easily.
Get all the tips and things you need to know to make this shredded salad today.
What is a french carrot salad?
A french carrot salad is a shredded or grated carrot slaw.
The salad uses fresh carrots, which are topped with a simple healthier and light dressing.
We make it all year round and call it salade de carottes rapées.
It’s a super classic and common salad side dish served in homes in France.
It couldn’t be more french then that!
How to make this carrot salad?
The salad is shredded or grated and to do that I recommend that you use a food processor.
It can be done manually with a grater, but it can be tedious.
Here is how it’s done, the complete recipe with US and metric measurements is located at the bottom of this post.
The video is the pop up.
Rinse and scrub carrots to clean from mud and dirt.
Shred carrots in food processor or manually with a grater.
Place shredded carrots into a bowl.
Combine dressing ingredients.
Pour vinaigrette over carrots.
Top with some fresh chopped chives and serve up
You can us other carrot varieties such as rainbow colored carrots.
Yellow, red, purple and orange colors look amazing and make for a beautiful fall side dish presentation.
Traditional french carrot recipes in france don’t add any other ingredients to the slaw.
However, you can get creative by adding, raisins, chickpeas and some freshly chopped licorice tarragon.
My mother likes to shred some kohlrabi with the carrots and she serves it together mixed up. So this is another idea.
This salad can be served with most main course dishes.
We had it with with meats, casserole dishes, fish, seafood, dumplings, lentils, vegetables, pan fried meals and much more.
It’s as versatile as a simple green salad because it uses a vinegar oil vinaigrette as a dressing.
I love it with a shepherd’s pie or even a pot pie.
You can store salad leftovers in an airtight containers.
I prefer to store shredded carrots and dressing separately, so I tend to add the dressing over the salad at the end only.
That way the carrots tend to remain nice and crunchy and not soggy.
You can prepare this salad days in advance (as I just explained with the carrot and dressing separated).
More Salads like this
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
French Carrot Salad Recipe
- Prepare your carrots. If they are garden fresh organic, cut off greens and ends. Wash and scrub to get rid of mud. If you use store bought, peel if you don't know where they came from (because of pesticides).
- Place carrots into food processor to shred or use a grater to do that manually.
- Prepare the Dressing by combining vinegar, mustard, salt and black pepper in a small bottle or salad shaker. Then add oil at the end and shake again.
- Place shredded carrots into a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle dressing over your shredded carrot. Use as much as you like.
- Sprinkle cut chives over carrot and dressing and serve up room temperature or cooled.
- Food Processor or Manual Shredder
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.