I will show you how to roast a chicken in the oven easily step by step in my video recipe further below.
Your perfect baked whole chicken will be perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy flavorful on the inside.
Do you and your family enjoy a good sunday roast? I recommend my easy boneless pork loin roast.
How to cook a whole chicken in the oven?
My mother would frequently make a hearty, comforting chicken roast meal on Sundays and I fell in love with it early on.
Her french roast chicken is an oven herb baked chicken.
Follow the simple roast chicken recipe steps to make your own roast chicken easily at home!
Separate the neck and giblet from your chicken if there is any.
Rinse your chicken and pat dry with a paper towel.
Tie the legs together if you have a kitchen yarn.
I find it easier to work this way.
Place the whole raw chicken (breast up!) into a roasting pan or casserole or similar.
Your chicken should fit in and you should have space to add other ingredients such as mushrooms, potatoes, vegetables of your choice.
In a bowl mix the fresh thyme, chopped garlic, salt and pepper with the olive oil.
Pour the olive oil mixture over the chicken and leave some over to rub it into the chicken (because your store-bought chicken comes gutted and hollow and we want to add flavor there too).
Cook your chicken in your preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celsius until you have a cooked crispy oven baked chicken.
Take out the chicken every 15-20 minutes to baste it with the roasting pan sauce or pour over sauce.
Don't skip the basting part, it's essential!
Leave your baked chicken to cool before you carve it out.
That's it, just follow these steps and find more details in the recipe further below to learn how to roast a chicken in the oven.
The roast chicken cooking time in the oven depends on the size of your chicken.
A smaller young chicken will cook faster, a large chicken will take much longer to cook through.
Your Chicken will be uncooked on the inside and dry on the outer parts if your chicken cooked on high heat but not long enough.
The right balance between the size of your chicken, the oven temperature and roasting time is important for a perfect crispy skinned oven roasted chicken.
Size and cooking length
I roast my Chicken at 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celsius.
Use the same temperature for the following chicken sizes to determine the best temperature to bake chicken.
- Cornish Game Hen - A young chicken, weighs less than 2 pounds/ 1 kilogram. Cooking time = 40 to 50 minutes
- Broiler (aka Fryer Chicken) - About 6 to 7 weeks old, weighs somewhere between 2 to 5 pounds/ 1 to 2.3 kilograms. Cooking time = about 50 to 60 minutes
- Roaster - About 8 weeks old, weighs more than 5 pounds/ 2.3 kilograms. Cooking time = about 1 hour to 1h 20mins hour
I usually get a broiler chicken because they tend to cook more evenly and the meat turns out juicier as well.
However, I highly recommend that you get a meat thermometer to determine the roast chicken temperature on the inside!
Perfect Roast Chicken internal Temperature is about 170 Fahrenheit/ 75 Celsius.
Check at the body, where you have the most of meat, at the deepest point.
Baste your chicken frequently with the oily sauce. The chicken meat will remain moist, tender and juicy and the skin will turn out crispy.
I take out my chicken every 15 or so minutes and baste it with the juice in the pan.
Make a few cuts into your chicken if you are unsure if your chicken will cook through properly.
This can help when you have a large chicken and when you are going to carve it out anyway right after the roasted chicken has cooled down.
Use your meat Thermometer to check on the internal temperature of your roast chicken. Do not exceed 180 Fahrenheit / 80 Celsius.
My mum's recipe is a French herb roasted chicken seasoned with fresh thyme and garlic.
Olive oil blends well with the fresh herb and keeps the chicken meat moist and will turn it into a crispy roast chicken
Dear Reader, what side dish you want to serve with this roast chicken?
Global Food Recipes
with Spices and Herbs
Free E-Book available for a limited time. Grab yours now and get instantly inspired!
You missed out!
how to roast a chicken in the oven
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celcius.
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 1 Teaspoon Salt, ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper, 2 Tablespoon fresh Thyme
- Remove the chicken neck and giblets if there are any. Rinse the chicken, tap dry with a paper towel and place the chicken with the breast up into a roasting plate1 Whole Chicken
- Take some of the olive oil mixture and rub into the chicken. Tie your chicken legs together if you like (I prefer it that way). Rub the remaining olive oil mixture over the chicken breast into the skin.
- Place the mushrooms, shallots and the rest of the garlic around the chicken. Take the chicken dish into the oven to roast.8.8 ounces Mushrooms, 3-4 Shallot, 3 cloves Garlic
- Roast the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes and take it out again. Pour water over the chicken and mushrooms. Take the chicken plate back to the heat into the oven1 ¼ cup Water
- Repeat the process every 15 minutes by pouring/basting the sauce in the plate over the chicken. That will keep the chicken meat moist and will crispen the skin.
- Check with a meat thermometer if the chicken is done by pocking into the main body. The chicken is cooked through when you have reached 170 Fahrenheit/ 75 Celsius.