Juicy and perfect oven roasted beef tenderloin seasoned with garlic and herbs.
Great meal for Christmas, Easter, thanksgiving or any other holiday.
What is Beef Tenderloin?
Beef tenderloin is a cut of meat in a cow. It's also called fillet.
Tenderloin is the most expensive and best cut of meat.
It's tender, soft and cooks through fast, making it a great meat to serve up for a special occasion.
You will need a few ingredients to make this dish from scratch at home:
- beef tenderloin - lookout for quality cuts, it should be deep red and the meat should appear tender.
- garlic - fresh cloves
- onion - can be white, yellow, or purple. You can use shallots too.
- olive oil or any other cooking oil
- salt and black pepper
- thyme - dried or fresh
- rosemary - dried or fresh
- broth - vegetable, beef, or veal broth. You can mix boiling hot water with a Maggie cube too.
- all-purpose flour and water to prepare the slurry
How to prepare and roast Beef Tenderloin Roast?
The process to prepare and cook your own beef tenderloin is super simple. It couldn't be easier than that!
Here is an overview on how it's done.
The US and Metric measurements are located in the printable recipe card further below with the details.
The video is the pop up (refresh page to make it appear again).
Peel and cut garlic
Cut holes into beef tenderloin and stuff with garlic pieces.
Place sliced onion into pot and beef tenderloin over that.
Spread oil and seasoning over the beef and rub it in.
Add some butter to the pot.
Sear beef tenderloin on all sides and pour broth over it.
Cover pot and roast beef in the oven.
Combine flour and water to create a slurry.
Pour and mix in slurry 5 mins before roast is done.
Finish cooking roast.
Temperature Doneness Chart
Cook your meat the way you like it!
That can be rare, medium rare, medium or well done.
Roast at 400° Fahrenheit/ 200° Celsius:
- rare for 14-18 mins with an inner temperature set at 85-120 Fahrenheit or 30-50 Celsius
- medium rare for 19-23 mins with an inner temperature set at 130-145 Fahrenheit or 55-63 Celsius
- medium for 24-26 mins with an inner temperature set at Fahrenheit or 63-68 Celsius
- well done for 30 mins with an inner temperature set at 160-170 Fahrenheit or 72-77 Celsius
You can check the inner temperature of your meat with a meat thermometer. It can be handy, I didn't use it in the video.
I always like to pour some of the sauce in the pot over the beef roast before I cut and serve it. That way it will look juicy and more delicious.
Slice the roast and serve up hot with a side of your choice.
Storing and Using Leftovers
If you have leftovers, make sure that it's cut into slices and place the beef slices into an airtight container in the fridge. Use within days.
I love it the next day with sweet potato mash or cut into smaller pieces in a pasta dish or fried rice.
You can use the tenderloin slices in a wonderful sandwich too.
I love the leftovers in a taco, burrito or quesadilla too.
If you have a small party right after Christmas, you could make some appetizers too.
Yes you will have to sear your beef tenderloin first because it brings out all the wonderful flavors and browns the meat on the outside a bit. It looks better that way and the meat cooks through better. That's why I recommend using a pot that can be used over the stove top and in the oven.
The dish is covered and roasted in the oven so that the beef gets a chance to cook through properly without getting to dry. 5 mins before you are done, remove the cover and cook uncovered to finish it off.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Beef Tenderloin Roast with Garlic and Herb
- 1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour
- 3 Tablespoon Water
- Prepare fresh garlic cloves by peeling and cutting the large pieces lengthwise into smaller pieces.
- Create holes all over your beef tenderloin with a knife and push each garlic piece into a hole. Do that all over the meat so that the garlic is spread out.
- Slice onion.
- Combine black pepper, salt, thyme, and rosemary in a small mixing bowl.
- Spread sliced onion in a large pot and place meat over that.
- Pour olive oil over the beef and sprinkle with the seasoning. Rub in all around the meat.
- Add butter to the meat.
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit/ 200° Celsius.
- Take the beef tenderloin pot to the stove and sear the meat over a medium to high heat setting for about 5-10 minutes on all sides or until the beef changes into a grey color all over.
- Pour and stir broth in.
- Cover the pot and place it into the oven.
- Roast beef tenderloin at °. Decide how you want your beef, rare, medium, or well done. I cooked mine medium-rare to medium for a total time of 25 mins. *see Notes
- Prepare slurry by combining all-purpose flour and water.
- 5 mins before you are done roasting, pour and stir slurry in. If you have a meat thermometer you can check the inner temperature too (*see Notes).
- Uncover the pot and finish roasting meat for the remaining 5 minutes.
- When done roasting, pour the sauce over the roast. That way it stays juicy.
- Cut meat into slices and serve up hot with other sides f your choice. See post for serving ideas.
- rare for 14-18 mins and inner temp. 85-120 Fahrenheit or 30-50 Celsius
- medium rare for 19-23 mins and inner temp. 130-145 Fahrenheit or 55-63 Celsius
- medium for 24-26 mins and inner temp. 145-155 Fahrenheit or 63-68 Celsius
- well done for 30 mins and inner temp. 160-170 Fahrenheit or 72-77 Celsius