I have been in love with this fragrant rice recipe infused with clove since forever! This clove rice is an aromatic rice side dish which is easily prepared and usually served with western dishes such as roast Chicken with herbs or Chicken with Mushroom White Wine Sauce.
Learn how to make the fragrant rice recipe with clove further below and get the recipe with step by step pictures:
For the love of Rice!
Rice is one of those essential must have staples all over the world. It’s just so common, loved and enjoyed that there are even folks living on it every single day.
I grew up with lots of rice in our home. Rice is usually used as a side preparation in most western recipes.
My mom would make an easy roast chicken with fresh thyme, garlic and mushrooms for Sunday dinner and with that she would always serve this fragrant rice recipe with clove.
Rice Shopping in India!
I am big fan of Basmati Rice. I am living in India and here there a various types of Basmati rice available. If you go to any local shop you get a whole lot of choices when it’s about rice and pulses.
At first you will not see the goods because an untrained foreign eye doesn’t recognize the principle of disordered Indian shops with their minuscule rooms.
You reach the shop look around and 5 other folks come at the same time rubbing at your shoulders. All at once they would be telling the shopkeeper what they came for before you have even the chance to collect your thoughts and realize what you want.
The shopkeeper might not even understand your uttering words while you try to speak some broken local Hindi or other Indian language. What makes it way worse is that your tongue can’t make the difference between a t, th and tha.
But if and if only you get to the point where you finally communicate with hands and feet, so that you get to see bags full of gorgeous varieties of rice. You end up hurrying since the mosquito hordes suck your last drop of blood.
Hey at least you get some rice choices which you would never get in a village in the European alps!
On top of that quality, rice at a very convenient price for a foreigner. Here you pass the streets holding tight on your rice bag with a big smile in your face because you could actually live on that bag for a few weeks! Unbelievable but true.
Fortunately for online shops and super markets, we get to shop the western way these days and I have finally learned to shop for groceries the Indian way stress-free. 🙂
Fragrant Rice Recipe with Clove – Easy Aromatic Rice Side Dish – How to make fragrant rice below:
- 100 grams Basmati Rice or ½ cup or 3.5 oz
- 200 milliliter Water or 1 cup or 6.7 fl oz
- Salt to taste
- 1 Onion
- 1 dozen Cloves
- Wash your rice a few times under water until the water is clear. Place the rice with the recommended water into a pot and add a pinch of salt. Keep on a slow to medium flame.
- Grab an onion, cut off ends, peel and cut into half . Poke the Cloves into the Onion.
- Place both Onion ends with the Cloves into/on top of the cooking rice. Don't mix the rice at this point. Just allow it to cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fluffy cooked but not sticky over cooked. (although I like mine sticky)
- Take out the onion pieces with all the cloves and discard. Mix the rice properly and strain any excess rice water. Serve hot as a side with meat or veg meals.
Cooking with rice ideas for rice junkies:
Serve the fragrant rice with clove with:
Dear Reader, did you grow up with lot of rice in your childhood?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!