Brown sugar glazed carrots are a great side dish addition to your holiday food table.
These candied carrots are easy to prepare, delicious and a total crowd pleaser!
What are brown sugar glazed carrots?
Basically, brown sugar glazed carrots are sheet pan caramelized candied carrots that are roasted in the oven.
The sugar is sprinkled over the carrots with butter.
During the roasting process, the carrots get cooked soft and the sugar and butter get caramelized.
Hence the name candied carrots.
The glazed carrots are a popular holiday side dish crowd pleaser.
That’s why candied carrots are also known in some circles as Thanksgiving carrots, Christmas carrots or Easter carrots.
How to make glazed candied carrots? [VIDEO]
Preparing brown sugar glazed candied carrots is super easy.
The prepping time is minimal and while the carrots are baking in the oven, you get to focus on other meals.
You will need a handful of ingredients which you will have in your pantry most probably.
Pick bright fresh carrots and try to us only same-sized carrots so that they all cook evenly the same in the oven.
The steps to prepare candied carrots is rather simple.
Simply wash, peel and half your carrots.
Place your beautiful carrots over a sheet pan laid out with baking paper.
Baste melted butter over the carrots.
Season with salt, pepper and brown sugar.
The baking time may vary, depending on the size of your carrots.
Usually, long carrots get soft with a beautiful glaze after 20 minutes of baking them in the oven.
How to serve the brown sugar glazed carrots?
You can serve these wonderful side dish glazed carrots with other popular holiday side dishes and of course main meals such as a whole turkey, whole roasted chicken or Beef Wellington (to just name a few).
- Sauteed Mushrooms as with Portobello Mushrooms
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Braised Red Cabbage
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Turnip
- Mashed Kohlrabi Potato
- Boiled Green Peas
- French Green Beans with a dressing
Roasted Glazed Carrot variations
You can prepare different glazed candied carrot variations.
To adjust to a particular diet switch the sugar and butter out.
However, you can also add some flavors to pep up things.
To make Paleo or Keto Low Carb glazed carrots switch out the brown sugar with Palm Sugar, Honey, natural Maple syrup or Date syrup and the instead of the butter you can use Coconut or Olive Oil.
You can add some of the following flavors and ingredients to your glazed candied carrots:
- Bourbon – classic warm flavors
- Ginger – for an Asian touch
- Thyme – to taste out the Mediterranean
- Gourmet Salts such as Himalayan Pink Salt or Fleur de Sel De Guerande
- Pecans – adds crunch too
- Bacon – your guests won’t be able to stop themselves!
- Dill – To serve with fish or seafood
- Orange Juice – Interesting with freshly pressed orange juice
- Lemon Juice – The way I like it
Dear Reader, How will you be serving these brown sugar glazed carrots?Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots Recipe
How to Video
- 1 pound Carrots
- 2 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Wash your carrots well, peel the carrots and cut into two pieces.
- Prepare a baking sheet and place the carrots on it.
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius/ 350 Fahrenheit.
- Baste the carrot pieces with melted butter.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of brown sugar, salt and black pepper over the carrots.
- Oven roast the carrots for about 20 minutes or until they are glazed and cooked thoroughly at 180 Celsius/ 350 Fahrenheit.
- Double the glazed carrot recipe to prepare for a larger crowd.
- You can use different carrot varieties in yellow and purple to make a colorful carrot side dish.
- See post for recipe ingredient variations
- Makes about 4 servings, nutrition info per serving.