Simple flavored stewed tomatoes, prepared from scratch from whole fresh tomatoes and peeled.
I share seasoning, storing options and ways to use them.
📕 What are stewed tomatoes?
Tomatoes are peeled and then slowly cooked over a medium to low heat setting.
The tomatoes can be diced or cooked as a whole.
Stewed tomatoes and variations exist all over the world.
Full recipe with ingredient measurements and steps is located in the printable recipe card further below.
This is a simple stewed tomato recipe.
- tomatoes - large tomatoes of your choice. You can make it with smaller varieties too.
- olive oil
- black pepper
- water or broth or water+maggie cube
Here are some country specific flavors to pep up your stewed tomatoes:
- French flavor - add fresh or dried lovage, bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, or a dash of herbes de provence
- Italian flavors - basil fresh or dried or Italian seasoning
- Mexican style - jalapenos, garlic, and a pinch of cumin or Mexican seasoning blend
- African style - bell pepper, scotch bonnet or habanero peppers
- Southern flavors - filé powder or cajun seasoning and okra added
- Middle eastern touch - chickpeas and zaatar seasoning
🔪 How to stew tomatoes?
This is an overview, check the recipe in the recipe card below.
Heat up water, place in tomatoes to blanch, peel tomatoes.
Prep ingredients. Slice onion, chop garlic, cut peeled and blanched tomato ends off.
Sauté onion garlic and add whole tomatoes.
Pour in water or broth, season as you like and cover to cook.
Cook down to desired consistency.
Mash tomatoes a bit with your cooking spoon.
I love stewed tomatoes because they are simple to prepare and great with most meals as a side dish.
Here are some ideas to enjoy your homemade stewed tomatoes. Serve up with:
- polenta or grits
- cooked potatoes
You can also use your stewed tomatoes to make another dish, such as in:
- zucchini boats as a filling
- shrimp fra diavolo
- a soup
- a casserole dish
- a pasta sauce
- a sauce such as a salsa
Cooked stewed tomatoes can be stored int he fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. In fact I think they even taste better when reheated after a day or two.
To freeze, simply prepare desired batch size and place in a freezer friendly container. Freeze for up to 2 months max.
To thaw simply place into the fridge over night or heat up gradually in the microwave or over the stove top in a non-sticking pan.
Yes you can make colorful stewed tomatoes by using different tomato varieties such as green tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, black tomatoes, purple tomatoes. Or use your favorite tomato variety. I like to use oxheart tomatoes if I get them or else I use oval tomatoes.
Slowly and gradually cook down your stewed tomatoes until you are satisfied with the thickness. I don't recommend adding a slurry (flour with water) to thicken the stew because then it will look shiny and kind of off.
Almost everybody! They are vegan and therefore suitable for a vegetarian diet. They are also healthy all natural without artificial ingredients and preservatives, they are also a great addition to a low-calorie diet and a gluten-free diet.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
PIN to save for later!
Simple Stewed Tomatoes Recipe
- Bring a pot of water to boil and place your fresh whole tomatoes into it.
- Cook shortly for about 30 second (that's called to blanch) or until skin cracks on tomato.
- Keep a bowl or container with ice cold water ready and place tomatoes in it to stop cooking process.
- Peel tomatoes.
- Dice onion and chop garlic. Cut and remove tomato top.
- Heat up a small pot with olive oil and saute first onion and then add garlic when the onion looks a bit soft.
- Continue to add the whole tomato. Cook over a slow to medium heat setting.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour in water or broth.
- At this point you can season your tomato stew further. You can add basil, Italian seasoning or as I did bay leaf and dried lovage. This is optional.
- Cover to bring to a boil and keep over a medium heat setting.
- Uncover after 5 minutes and check if the tomatoes have become a bit soft. Mash lightly with your cooking spatula to desired consistency.
- Cook further down until you are satisfied with the consistency and thickness. Keep it to stew over a medium to slow heat setting at the end.
- If you added whole spices to season (such as bay leaf) take them out and discard at this point.
- Serve up your stewed tomatoes.
- You can use water, broth, or maggie cubes with water to cook your tomatoes. broth or maggie cubes add more flavors whereas water makes it taste plainer.
- You can choose to season your tomato stew further. In the video, I added bay leaf and lovage (for french flavors), but you can add 1-2 teaspoons of oregano or marjoram too or Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence. See post under Ingredients for some more seasoning ideas.
- Small Pot