Mexican Seasoning (Taco seasoning) is prepared with a few smooth ground spices which you will have in your kitchen most probably. 🙂
It takes less than 5 minutes to just mix together the ground spices for this Mexican seasoning recipe and you can store it easily for another hot spiced day.
Other MasalaHerb.com Videos
What’s Mexican Seasoning?
Mexican seasoning is a spice blend which is usually used for popular Mexican dishes.
Basically, it’s a hot easy Taco seasoning spice blend. The easy Mexican seasoning can be used for other global Mexican food favorites with meat such as chicken and ground meat to stuff tacos.
Often while Mexican seasoning is simply promoted and sold as a seasoning that includes spices with Mexican flavors.
This Mexican Seasoning recipe is more like a global “modern” spice blend than a traditional Mexican spice blend because even in Mexico they differentiate between various spice mixtures.
In Mexico, they use different spice blends in their regional cuisine. Besides that those local Mexican chili powder varieties are used for different spice mixtures.
How to make Mexican Taco Seasoning mix?
This universal multi-purpose 5 min Mexican seasoning recipe consists of a few aromatic ground spices and more:
- Chili Pepper Powder
- Paprika Powder
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Coriander Powder
- Oregano dried
- Black Pepper Powder
This spice combination makes food taste Mexican. Also, the Mexican spice blend recipe is low in sodium.
You can reduce the spicy heat and create a mild Mexican seasoning with the same ingredients by picking a different chili variety.
I like a semi-hot chili variety like the chipotle chili or you can use something like a common cayenne or Kashmiri chili powder variety.
You can experiment with the chili pepper heat by using different chili pepper powder or by adding a little more of the red chili powder to the Mexican spice blend.
Tip: The Mexican spice blend turns out even better if you use your own homegrown chili, which you dry and turn into a powder. Also, try to use central American chili peppers such as ancho, habanero, de arbol or serrano chili peppers. Or the hottest of all chilis, the ghost pepper!
How to use Mexican Seasoning?
You can use this universal multi-purpose Mexican seasoning in various dishes and recipes to season:
- chicken taco seasoning mix for the filling or any other ground meat
- mexican rice
I personally like to just sprinkle some on potatoes wedges or slices before I bake them crispy in olive oil. Another idea is to season mayo based creamy dips and sauces with the Mexican spices.
The other day I prepared a mixture of ground (pork) meat. I seasoned it with the Mexican seasoning before shaping the ground meat mixture into burger patties and cooking them.
I was almost tempted to stuff momo dumplings with this spice blend (I know, the bastardization of a traditional meal!!)
So as you can see you can use this Mexican seasoning recipe creatively in different ways. I am not going to limit your imagination, after all, who knows, you might come up with another delicious idea!
Cool things for your DIY Mexican Seasoning
- Mortar and Pestle – If you want to grind your own toasted spices for more flavor
- Glass Jars to store spice blends
- Expandable Bamboo Spice Rack
Mexican Seasoning – Taco Seasoning Spice Blend [DIY] below:
- 2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder ( I used a roasted garlic powder version)
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika Powder ( I like to use a smoked Paprika version)
- ¼ Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ Oregano dried ground
- Mix all the spices together and store in an air right jar for further future use.
2. Store in a jar in a dry and cool place away from sunlight. Use whenever needed.
3. Adjust the heat by reducing the red chili powder amount or by using different chili varieties such as ancho, habanero, de <g class="gr_ gr_104 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="104" data-gr-id="104">arbol</g> or serrano.
4. You can double the Mexican seasoning to create more.
More Seasoning DIY recipes like the Mexican seasoning:
Dear Reader, how are you planning to use the Mexican seasoning in your cooking?
Please share with us your experience in a comment further below.
Do you like homemade seasonings? See some more DIY spice and herb blends to make at home!
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Curried Chicken Salad - November 7, 2018
- How to make Mashed Potato - November 5, 2018
- Easy Ginger Coconut Detox Lentil Soup Recipe [Vegan] - November 2, 2018