Smoked salmon appetizer bites with dill sour cream are great finger food to serve for a crowd this holiday season.
They taste delicious, are easy to prepare and please everyone.
I think the best Christmas and New Year's appetizers, besides little smokies and pigs in a blanket, are salmon bread bites.
You can call them also smoked salmon tartine, mini salmon toasts or salmon crostini.
They look fancy and they taste great so you can't go wrong with this cold appetizer.
By the way, you can use lox too instead of smoked salmon in this recipe.
How long does smoked salmon last?
Smoked salmon usually lasts for about 1 week vacuum-packed from the date of manufacture.
The expiry date on the packaging is usually exact and the shelf life should be followed.
I bought mine from the pictures at Aldi because they sell organic smoked salmon.
Smoked salmon is, well smoked, but also raw so it has a short life before it turns bad for consumption.
The best way to enjoy salmon and it's complicated gorgeous flavors is to eat it when still fresh and not all too old.
Keep your smoked fish tightly packed in cling film or aluminum after you have unpacked it from its vacuum packaging and eat it within 2-3 days.
Choice of bread
I like to use baguette bread with my smoked salmon because they are the perfect size for bite-sized smoked salmon hors dóeuvres.
You can also use whole wheat bread with seeds because they go well with dill sour cream and smoked salmon.
I admit that I also love these smoked salmon canapes with homemade healthier breads such as spelt bread.
Serve up your smoked salmon appetizers to impress your family, friends or colleagues!
Here are some surface ideas to place your cold smoked salmon bites on, so to make them pop.
Serve them over or on....
- a black granite plate - the bright salmon colors will most definitely come out and make it look elegant
- a wooden cutting board - just the way I did in my pictures
- a tiered stand - just the way hotels do
- a lovely tray - if you want to go around and recommend your bites to your guests. That's a great way to interact with folks.
Prepping in advance
You can prepare a smoked salmon appetizer platter a few hours in advance.
I wouldn't keep them ready assembled too many hours in advance because they will get soggy with the dill sour cream sauce.
Fortunately, the salmon crostini come together almost effortlessly.
So, if you still want to prepare something a night in advance for the next day, you can do so by keeping the dill sour cream sauce ready and refrigerated.
The party appetizers can be assembled 2- 3 hours before you intend to serve them.
Place them on a serving platter or similar and cover with a cling film. Keep in a cool and dry place until serving time.
More recipes like this
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Smoked Salmon Appetizer Bites with Dill Sour Cream
For the sour cream with dill
- 8 ounces Smoked Salmon Slices
- 1 Baguette 25 inches or 63.5 cm long
- Dill fresh
- Salmon Roe I did not use it in the photos
- Prepare the sour cream with dill first by combining all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl to a smooth consistency. That includes the chopped dill, onion, mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice.
- Cut your bread slices to about 1 inch/ 2.5 centimeter thick.
- Spread the sour cream mixture over the bread slices.
- Cut your smoked salmon slices to your desired size. I roll them in a bit too.
- Place salmon over the sour cream and garnish with a piece of fresh dill or you can garnish with salmon roe too.
- The servings amount is an approximate only.
- You can use fresh dill or dried dill if you can't get fresh ones. The fresh variety is always preferred.
- You may place salmon fish roe over your salmon appetizer to garnish. I didn't have any when I took the picture but they do look nice. However not everyone likes them so keep them in mind.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.