Making spelt bread has never been easier with this quick recipe.
Spelt flour and seeds make this bread amazingly nutritious.
The moist and great tasting bread recipe with video can be found at the bottom of the post.
What is Spelt?
Spelt, also known as dinkel, is a grain related to the common wheat grain but it has a nutty flavor.
It is known as an ancient grain in Europe and the middle east, as it has already been part of people’s diet back in the bronze ages.
Today, spelt grains are turned into spelt wheat, which in turn makes a lovely bread.
Spelt bread is a staple in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland where one can buy different spelt bread rolls, loaves and more.
Spelt for your health
Nowadays, spelt is considered to be health food.
Spelt contains gluten, so it’s not a suitable grain if you follow a gluten-free diet.
Yet, spelt is an ancient grain so you can enjoy this bread if you are on a paleo diet.
Here are some spelt flour benefits.
Spelt wheat is a good source of fibers and those are great for your gut health.
Fibers help you to regulate your bowl movement and at the same time keep you full longer so that you don’t have to experience sudden cravings.
This, in turn, can assist you on your journey to weight loss and it can regulate your cholesterol levels.
How to make Spelt Bread?
This spelt bread recipe is super easy to make as it is a wet bread dough.
Baking with spelt flour is not challenging, in fact with this recipe it’s rather easy and you are going to love your moist and tasty bread!
The detailed recipe with ingredients and instructions + video can be found at the bottom of the post.
Add to a large mixing bowl all the dry ingredients the spelt flour, salt, mixed seeds, and yeast.
Make a well in the center and add in the wet ingredients, the honey, vinegar, and water.
Mix and beat the dough with the help of your kitchen machine or by hand.
Grease a pan and sprinkle in oats.
Pour in batter and even out.
Bake bread at 390 Fahrenheit or 200 Celsius for about 60 minutes altogether.
However, take out bread from the oven after 20 minutes and make a cut lengthwise across the top of your bread.
Take it back to the oven to finish the baking process.
We make a cut on top so that the bread bakes evenly and doesn’t get off shape.
What seeds can I add to my spelt bread?
You can add any of the following seeds to your bread to add nutritious value to each slice.
The seeds also add a lot of flavor and texture to your spelt flour bread.
- sunflower seeds
- sesame seeds – white or black
- pumpkin seeds or other squash seeds
- flax seeds
- chia seeds or basil seeds
I also like to add oats and sometimes raisins to my bread.
The combination and choice of seeds is up to you.
I mainly use sunflower and pumpkin seeds and the red I fill up with the other seed varieties.
The bread in the recipe picture includes all the above-mentioned seeds.
Where to buy spelt flour?
You can get regular spelt flour or organic unbleached spelt flour in most supermarkets, online or your local farmer’s market might sell spelt flour as well.
Spreads that I enjoy with this spelt bread
- Liptauer spread
- Basil Cashew Pesto (yep it makes a great bread spread)
- Liver Paté
- Herb Butter
- Cinnamon Butter by thereciperebel.com
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Quick Spelt Bread Recipe
For the Dough:
For the baking pan
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients. The spelt flour, mixed seeds and salt. Break the fresh yeast into pieces and combine into the flour as good as possible.
- Make a well in the center and add the honey, pour in the vinegar and water.
- Mix and beat the ingredients into a dough with the help of your kitchen machine or by hand (that's a workout).
- Preheat your oven to 390° Fahrenheit/200° Celsius.
- Keep your baking pan ready by buttering it. Sprinkle some oats into the pan, that way you will have oats sitting on top of your bread which looks nice.
- Pour your dough into the baking pan and smoothen out.
- Bake your bread in the oven at 390° Fahrenheit/200° Celsius.
- Take the bread out after 20 minutes and make a cut lengthwise into the bread on top. That way the bread won't deform during the baking process.
- Place the bread back into the oven to and bake another 40 minutes. The total baking time is 60 minutes.
- You can use mixed seeds such as pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, sesame seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds as well as oats. I used mainly sunflower and pumpkin seeds and the rest a mixed of chia, flax, sesame and oats.
- I use white wine vinegar.
- For the yeast, you can use fresh yeast or dry instant yeast. If you want to use dry instant yeast, use about 1/2 ounce (14 grams) dry yeast. I use fresh yeast because I prefer the taste, but this is my point of view, you might prefer regular dry yeast.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.