A no-fuss homemade beef liver pate bread spread.
The meat Pâté makes a great bite-sized Hors d’oeuvre Appetizer.
Well, contrary to the belief, the fast homemade pate version can be prepared in less than 10 minutes.
We have been making this for years over little bread slices for special occasions.
What is Beef Liver Pâté?
Pâté is a French invention and is basically a seasoned liver paste.
The cooked beef liver is turned into a smooth bread spread.
Different techniques exist to prepare a pate from scratch. I focus on the easiest version in this post.
The lavish medieval royal banquets often served pâté, including beef liver pâté, in different forms such as in a baked crust.
It was a very time-consuming art back then to create pâté from scratch.
The pate master was a profession back then. They were trained and skilled in making different pâté flavors.
Today, pate can be used in meat pastries such as in a Beef Wellington.
How to make the pate?
This is my quick pate recipe to make beef liver pate from scratch.
I have outlined the steps below. That should give you a rough idea on how to make it.
The detailed recipe is located at the bottom of this post.
Cut the still frozen beef liver into small slices. It’s easier to cut it when frozen.
Sautee liver with seasoning until cooked through.
Blend ingredients to a smooth paste.
Store this quick pate in an airtight container and consume within 3 days.
This is not a pate that can be preserved over months.
Except if you freeze your pate in small batches in the freezer. Then you can keep it for about 3 months in your freezer.
Keep it to thaw in your fridge over night.
Traditional french pate require a special cooking process to preserve them for a longer time.
So this is not a long preserved pate, it’s a quick make and use within days pate.
I love to garnish my little pate bread bites. They look more presentable and more valuable that way.
Besides all of the garnish compliment the pate one way or another
Here are some garnish ideas:
- Bell Pepper – sliced red, yellow or green
- Tangy Dill Pickles
- Sweet Onion Pickle
- chopped fresh Garden Cress
- chopped fresh Chives
- fresh parsley or cilantro
- dash ground paprika
More bite-sized Appetizer ideas! 🍣
Dear Reader, How are you planning to serve this easy Beef Liver Pâté?
Let us know in a comment further below!
Beef Liver Pâté Recipe was first published at masalaherb.com on the 30th January 2012.
Subscribe & Get your freE
Beef Liver Pâté Recipe
- The easiest way to cut liver is when it is still half frozen (when removed from the freezer) because the texture is like jelly. Cut your liver into cubes, discarding the transparent liver skin.
- Slice onion and chop garlic fine.
- Heat up a frying pan with olive oil. Saute onion slices and chopped garlic until soft.
- Stir in the liver pieces and sautee with the pan covered over a slow heat setting until the liver is cooked through. That usually takes 5 minutes if cut small.
- Transfer to a food processor and add the remaining ingredients, salt, pepper, crushed allspice berries, oregano, ground paprika or cayenne pepper, worcestershire sauce. Blend the whole content to a smooth paste.
- Serve directly as a spread over bread or crackers with some pickle garnish or bell pepper, or store it in an airtight container to use anotehr later.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.