Skull mushroom pizza bites are a great Halloween party food for children and adults alike!
Somebody had posted the skull mushrooms in a mushroom foraging group on facebook and I thought they would be cute and delicious on a simple pizza background.
I based this recipe on my pizzette recipe.
Here is an overview of what you need to make these. The full recipe with US and metric measurements is located further below in the recipe card.
- pizza crust - homemade or store-bought. You can also use the instant pizza dough.
- tomato sauce - unflavored plain is better
- pizza seasoning or italian seasoning or oregano
- button mushrooms - a dozen fresh button mushrooms. They can be white or brown ones, but they should be all the same size approx.
- grated cheese - I simply use pizza cheese
- olive oil - just a dash
Work the color into the dough until the dough is completely black.
🔪 How to make them?
Here are 3 steps that explain in brief how this recipe comes together.
The full detailed instructions are located further below in the printable recipe card. Also, don't forget to watch the video (it's the pop-up).
Prep and clean mushrooms. Cut them in half.
Punch two holes with a straw into the front curved mushroom side, these are the eyes.
Gently press in some lines with a small fork into the mushroom stem, those are the teeth.
Spread your pizza dough out, it should be a rectangle, fitting the baking tray.
Cut into 24 squares. Spread tomato sauce over each square, and season with salt and pizza seasoning (or Italian seasoning or oregano).
Place on each square a mushroom skull and spread grated cheese around it.
Sprinkle with some olive oil and bake your Halloween pizza bites.
Those are of course perfect for any Halloween party.
Adults will love them, and kids will learn how to appreciate fresh mushrooms. That should widen their palates and teach them to eat real food.
Just serve them up on a tray. I love them still hot, fresh from the oven.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container. I have also carried them in airtight containers to parties, so they can be easily moved around.
You can also freeze them, which should save you time on THE day.
Just prepare the pizza bites as per instructions, but don't bake them.
Place them on a tray in your freezer and wait for them to freeze hard.
Take them out and place in a freezer-friendly container, and back into the freezer.
When you want to bake them, place each next to each other frozen on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake as per instructions, but add another 5 minutes or so to the baking time.
Canned mushrooms are smaller and it won't work out that well. It's better if you use fresh button mushrooms.
Button mushrooms are grown commercially with pesticides, so I recommend rinsing them off. Normally mushrooms are not washed because mushrooms with gills will trap water and that can change the whole quality of your mushrooms. And yes this is something you are taught in culinary school! But button mushrooms are ok to be rinse, they are built differently.
💀 More Halloween Food and Drinks
Skull Mushroom Pizza Bites Recipe
- Prep and clean your mushrooms. Cut off any bad mushroom stem ends and parts that look off color and bad.12 piece Button Mushrooms
- Cut mushrooms into half and place them next to each other on your cutting board.12 piece Button Mushrooms
- Create the eyes by pushing into the soft mushroom head with your straw. Create the skull teeth by pressing lines into your mushroom stem with a cake fork. Keep skull mushrooms aside.12 piece Button Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit/ 200 Celsius.
- Roll out or open up the pizza dough/crust over parchment paper. It should fit into a rectangular oven tray.1 piece Pizza Crust
- Cut the rectangular pizza crust into 24 same-sized squares. Separate them from each other.1 piece Pizza Crust
- Spread the tomato sauce over each pizza square and season with salt and pizza seasoning (or Italian seasoning or oregano).6 Tablespoon Tomato Sauce, ½ Teaspoon Salt, 2 Teaspoon Pizza Seasoning
- Place and slightly press in a mushroom skull in the center of each square.12 piece Button Mushrooms
- Sprinkle and spread grated cheese over them. Try to not cover the mushrooms with cheese, so that the skulls are visible.1 cup Grated Cheese
- Sprinkle a dash of olive oil over the unbaked pizza bites.Olive Oi
- Bake mini skull pizzas at 400 Fahrenheit/ 200 Celsius for about 12 minutes or until they are baked and ready to be devoured.
- Serve up hot.
- Use homemade classic pizza dough, instant no-yeast pizza dough or store-bought pizza crust. To speed up the process, I used store-bought pizza dough in the video and images.
- For the tomato sauce use plain pizza sauce or red sauce or whatever you call it. It's also known as tomato passata if it's an Italian product.