Black Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate for your Halloween party guests, because even black souls need to feed on something.
These easy coconut macaroons are deep black in color, achieved by a natural coloring of the cookies.
The cookie base is a HOT red chocolate mixture, which unravels on your tongue.
Watch my Quick fun how-to video further below!
Macaroons VS Macaron VS Macron
Just to clarify quickly, so that you are not confused, about the difference between macaroons and Macaron.
Macaroons are coconut cookies made with egg whites and sugar.
We call them Kokosbusserl in Austro-German (Coconut Kiss).
Those Macaroons are popular in German-speaking parts of Europe, such as Germany, Austria, Alsace in France.
Macarons are the Parisian sandwich almond meal cookies.
Those are fashionable cookies which come in different colors and flavors.
You get them in Paris, but to be honest they are not that common in the rest of France.
AND Mr. Macron is the current French President who somehow is connected to sweet treats in Amiens (North France).
My husband likes to call him the cookie president. 😁
Black Coconut Macaroons Ingredients
To prepare the black coconut macaroons you will need a few ingredients including, eggs, sugar, desiccated coconut, dry active charcoal, dark chocolate, red food coloring, and optionally red chili powder and cinnamon powder to add some Mexican chocolate heat.
You will only need the egg white in this recipe.
Use the egg yolks in an omelet or to prepare this vanilla flan dessert.
The egg whites are turned into snow peaks.
The Sugar needs to be powdered sugar to mix in properly into the egg whites.
At the same time, powdered sugar is light enough to add the airiness into the cookies and that’s what we want to achieve.
As a flavor idea, you may use homemade powdered vanilla flavored sugar.
My coconut macaroons are without condensed milk.
Authentic coconut macaroons never call for condensed milk and only include powdered sugar.
Use only dry Coconut flakes which you get in stores.
Look out for the ones which are suitable for baking.
Wet scrapped coconut will make the cookies too heavy and you won’t be able to achieve a perfect macaroon.
Dry Active Charcoal
Use only Food-grade dry active charcoal to prepare these cookies.
Dry active charcoal is made of coconut shells and is an old remedy against stomach bloating.
It had come back as a fashionable ingredient to color foods naturally deep dark black.
Dry active charcoal sucks in everything around itself.
That means toxins, nutrients, everything, even artificial vanilla essence flavors.
But, dry active charcoal doesn’t taste of anything, it’s completely tasteless.
Try to use Dark cooking chocolate if you can get some as it tend to be healthier and has more antioxidants.
I think it tastes better as well but people who are used to sweet milk chocolate might not enjoy the dark bitter chocolate.
Optional: Red Food Coloring, Red Chili Powder, Cinnamon Powder
The red Food coloring will turn the chocolate reddish.
The red chili powder and cinnamon powder are Mexican chocolate flavors.
As you may know chocolate was a delicacy prepared by the ancient Mayans in Mexico.
Addition of red chili pepper powder and cinnamon powder defines Mexican chocolate nowadays.
All the three ingredients are optional and are supposed o flavor or add color to the chocolate base of the coconut macaroons.
How to make Black Coconut Macaroons?
Coconut Macaroons are some of the easiest and tastiest cookies out there.
They tend to come together quickly too if you do it the right way and follow all the steps properly.
For the foolproof, easy coconut macaroons recipe follow all the steps.
Firstly, the egg whites need to be separated from the yolks so that the egg whites can be whipped into stiff snow peaks.
Don’t let any yellow yolk get into the egg whites when you separate the eggs, because the egg yolk won’t allow the whites to stiffen.
Then fold in the powdered sugar and to make them black, the active dry charcoal.
At the same time fold in the desiccated coconut flakes.
The difference between folding in and mixing is that when you fold in you are careful not to destroy the airy peaks.
Mixing everything would flatten the snow peaks completely.
Afterward, you need to just simply shape the cookies like a mountain on a baking paper and bake them for short time.
When the cookies are ready they tend to be still soft on the outside until they cool down.
For the chocolate base of the cookies melt dark chocolate in a double boiler (Bain Marie).
Then add food coloring for the red effect, to add contrast and if you want you can add some exciting hot Mexican chocolate flavors with chili powder and cinnamon (makes the cookies a tad spicy!).
Then take a cookie and dip it into the melted chocolate to cover the base. Let cool and store your cookies.
How to store coconut macaroons?
Store your coconut macaroons in an airtight container (in a tropical climate) or a tin cookie box (in a cold climate).
That way the cookies can be found easily, the flavors don’t get mixed with other cookie varieties and the cookies keep longer that way without crumbling apart.
I usually lay my cookie box with baking/butter paper as well.
In a cold and dry climate, cookies tend to get hard quickly.
In that case, add a few clean apple peels to your cookies over the baking paper.
The apple skin will add moisture to the cookie box environment and the cookies won’t dry out that quickly.
At the same time, the apple skin adds a lovely aroma to the cookies box.
In a hot and humid environment don’t add anything to the cookies box, just make sure the box is stored in a cool and dry area to avoid mold growth.
Also, make sure to not keep the cookies all too long.
Freezing coconut macaroons is not really a good idea because once they defrost they will be soggy which beats the whole purpose of your homemade coconut macaroons.
The characteristics of a perfect coconut macaroon is that the outside feels hard with a soft melt in the mouth cookie inside.
Black Coconut Macaroons Dietary & Health plus points:
- Whole Ingredients
- Dry active Charcoal detoxifies and may prevent a hangover (perfect for your Halloween party)
More Halloween Recipes
Dear Reader, have you ever tried black cookies and cakes?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Black Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate [Halloween Cookies]
Fort he Cookie mass:
For the Chocolate coating:
- 3.5 ounces baking Chocolate about 2 squares
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper powder, optional *see Notes
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon powder, optional
- few drops Red Food Coloring
- Separate your eggs. Use your egg yolks in another dish such as in a custard or flan.
- Add salt to the egg whites. Beat the egg whites.
- While you are beating the egg whites, add gradually the powdered sugar, step by step, until you have poured it all in and your egg whites are stiff.
- Next, add the dry active charcoal and some of the shredded coconut. Add the coconut batchwise as well. Fold in the ingredients so that you don’t take out the airiness. Don’t mix wildly, try to fold it in as I have done in the video. Add in all the coconut, always little at once, until you have used it all up and you have a black mass.
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celcius/350 Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a baking sheet and with two spoons shape your macaroons. Refer to my video to see how I do it.
- Bake your macaroons at 180 Celcius/350 Fahrenheit. for 12 minutes.
- Take them out and let the cookies cool. They will get harder when they cool.
- In the meanwhile prepare a double boiler and melt the chocolate.
- Add the chili powder and cinnamon powder, including the food coloring to the molten chocolate and mix in. If the chocolate is getting too hard, add a few drops of water to keep it liquid enough so that you can coat your cookies.
- Coat the base of all your cookies by simply dipping them one by one into the chocolate mass.
- Let the cookies dry.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container. (see my post for detailed storing instructions).
- You can add the spices to the chocolate to create a Mexican chocolate flavor. You can also substitute the chili powder and cinnamon powder with a Mexican chocolate spice mix or you can omit completely the chocolate seasoning.
- Look out and get only food grade dry active charcoal. By the way, it’s completely tasteless but a bit messy.
- Depending on the size you will get about 20-30 cookies from the mass.
- The baking time may vary depending on your oven. Mine always takes 12 minutes. Give or take 10-14 minutes is the rule of thumb. Because they are super black it’s har dot see when the cookies are ready. If you are not sure to stick to 12 minutes and do a poke test with a knife after baking the cookies. If it comes back clean you are good. Note that the cookies are always soft after baking, they harden once they cool down.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.