A good Flan Recipe is a must in my house! Sumptuous vanilla crème caramel pudding as a rewarding dessert can do wonders. I am not a sweet tooth, but a homemade custard is my ultimate weakness, and so I perfected an easy to prepare flan and you can do this too!
Find the flan recipe further below together with the how to make flan explanation:
A dessert after dinner or lunch is a common practice, and that for a good reason.
We might be crazy for sweet things, and we do have a great excuse for a desert after meal time. A dessert helps you to digest, to complete a meal and will give you the impression that you are full and satisfied. It rounds up a meal, it helps you after dinner to relax.
A small amount of sweets as a treat or reward…
Yes, why not! After all a small quantity of sugar at the end of the day won’t harm you. I mean it!
You are trying to loose weight? Well, do your sports, eat balanced meals and allow yourself to have something for your heart, as a motivation of sorts.
Just don’t over do anything. Because when you try to abstain from sweets, just to loose weight, you will end up being trapped in the yo-yo/no motivation/eternal restriction diet.
You can learn discipline but you don’t need to torture yourself…
I can give you one great example! Take the french people…
France is famous for all the sweet wonderful cakes, tarts and croissants.. How does it come that the french have always been as slim as a french bean (pun intended)?
There must be something to it, don’t you think?
It’s simple and I have observed it in my big family of 10 aunty and uncles too, the secrete is… small portions, fresh quality food ingredients, homemade food and a balanced diverse diet.
So a homemade, teeny-tiny ramekin bowl of vanilla caramel crème flan won’t harm you. At least you know what’s in your custard!
The flan is easily made, just follow the instructions further below. The caramel can be tricky if you don’t give it your full attention. Just make sure to do as instructed, the caramel can burn, so prepare it with the lowest heat and keep your ramekin bowls ready. If you take your time making the caramel, it will turn out perfectly golden, as you need it to be for your flan recipe!
Easy Flan Recipe and How to make Flan instructions right below:
- 400 milliliter Milk or 2 cups
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 250 milliliter Condensed Milk or 1¼ cup
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2½ heaped Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons warm Water
- Before you start with your cooking, prepare a water bath (Bain Marie) by placing the ramekins into a bottom flat baking shape together with some warm water. See picture as a reference.
- Add to a mixing bowl the condensed milk, 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks and mix well.
- Now prepare the Caramel by placing half amount of the powdered sugar into the pot with the 2 Tablespoons of Water. Keep it on a very low flame, it has to heat up gradually and make sure there are not lumps. Slowly you will notice that the sugar is melting and at that point you add the remaining sugar. Take care that you don't burn your caramel. Believe me it happens very quickly, so when you see the sugar melted and slowly turning into a yellow golden, stir well. A few seconds later it will be turning brown and at that point you can take it away from the heat. Don't waste time and directly pour the caramel into the ramekins, no delays or it will get hard in less then a few seconds! (After emptying the pot with the caramel, pour hot water into it. Best way to wash the pot easily)
- Preheat your oven to 170 Celsius!
- In a pot add the milk, cut lengthwise into your vanilla bean and collect the small black seeds with a spoon. Add the seeds and empty vanilla bean into the milk and heat up for a short time. The vanilla flavor will incorporate into the milk while it's simmering. Once it is hot enough, remove from the heat and let the vanilla bean steep in the milk for a few minutes. Never boil and don't allow the milk to grow a skin on top or the vanilla seeds might get stuck in the skin. Discard the empty vanilla bean.
- Pour the vanilla milk into the egg condensed milk mixture and whisk heavily so that all ingredients are well incorporated. You should do that quickly because you don't want any egg lumps to form with the hot milk.
- Then pour the mixture over the caramel into the ramekins and place the baking shape with the water bath and ramekins into the oven and bake at 170 Celsius 18-20 minutes or until the top has turned golden brown. You can check too if it's cooked in the center by poking with a knife, if the knife comes back clean it is ready, otherwise the flan might take a few more minutes in the oven to bake properly.
- Serve in the Ramekin or turn over into a plate. I prefer the flan cold, so you can keep them in the fridge to cool before serving or serve them still warm (but cooled down).
Related sweet treats:
- Apple Cake with Calvados (french apple alcohol)
- Blueberry Tart with Custard (french open pie)
- Madeleine with Orange Blossom Water (small little cakes)
- Mirabelle Tart (yellow sweet fragrant plums)
- Retro 7 up salad dessert by Cherry and Spice
Dear reader, what’s your favorite french sweet treat?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!