French Apple Cake is something that my French grandmother and mother would make during the apple harvesting time, every Saturday. It’s a much favored classic in my home, stuffed with apple and true french flavors.
Can you remember the last time when you had a bite of a cake and it transported you in another time and space?
Succulent, scrumptious, tempting, delicious, mouthwatering and absolutely necessary piece of goodness, namely this french apple cake with Calvados.
You will understand what I mean after 5 minutes baking time, when the cake aroma is wrapping you around the finger, clouding your senses turning you into an utter french apple cake food-slave. And trust me you will be willingly letting yourself go for this all time favorite cake.
The french apple cake is of course a family recipe and has been frequently made in my house. My husband loves it, everybody loves it.
In fact it’s one of those cakes which you can make for any celebrations or occasions. Imagine presenting this cake to your friends for afternoon coffee/tea time or sell it at your kids school function!
Otherwise of course I tend to just bake the french apple cake for fun, in the middle of the week and sometimes (I solemnly confess!), in the middle of the night.
What is Calvados?
Calvados is a french apple brandy, commonly available in France and partially in Europe. You might be able to get calvados in a specialized stores or hypermarkets anywhere else in the world.
The true French apple cake here needs some calvados on top of the cake before being baked.
If you don’t have any Calvados at hand you can also substitute with apple brandy or you can also use apple juice [
I crave the french apple cake at different times, sometimes during the day as a lovely dessert with vanilla ice cream. Because the cake is so popular with everybody, I am rather glad that this is one of those quick and easy cake recipes.
You will thank me for this recipe later, it will save you time and the delicious sweetness of the cake will convince your in laws – or your difficult neighbors – to like you (if not love you and your gorgeous baking skills!)
How to make the french apple cake?
Just prepare the batter with the egg, flour and other ingredients as listed, then cut your fresh apples small, toss the apples into the batter and mix well.
Butter your mold, fill in the apple batter. I like to use quality silicon molds to make my life easier.
Calvados gives the french apple cake the extra flavor edge and lends the cake a certain moistness as well.
French Apple Cake Recipe
For the cake batter:
- 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour sieved
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 stick Butter melted
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder not baking soda!!
- pinch Salt
- 1.1 pound Apples ~4 Apples
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celsius.
- In a bowl, add and combine to a smooth batter the all-purpose sieved flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder and salt.
- Peel and discard the core of the apples. Cut them into smaller pieces and mix them into the cake batter.
- Butter your mold well, pour the batter into the prepared mold and spread evenly. Pour 2 Tablespoons of Calvados over the cake batter and finish by sprinkling the brown sugar over the cake.
- Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celsius until golden brown on top. Test with a knife, if the cake is baked, by poking into the center. If it’s gooey keep for 5 more minutes to bake.
- Best served and enjoyed with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- You can substitute calvados with apple brandy or apple juice. Or skip it (but you will miss some flavors)
More Apple Recipes
Dear Reader, do you have a cake recipe from your grandmother, which you treasure?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!