French Yogurt Cake is a quick soft cake that you can prepare anytime when you crave a simply delicious cake.
I have made this cake countless times in a square and round mold.
Pick your cake pan shape and let's make my family's yogurt cake recipe.
What is this cake?
The French yogurt cake is probably the easiest cake in the world and is prepared by using cups.
The best part is, that it only requires 6 ingredients.
Traditionally yogurt glass cups were used to measure the ingredients quickly and effortlessly for the cake.
The yogurt in the cake makes the cake fluffy and lends a certain moistness to the cake.
Hence why this cake always turns out perfect every time.
The yogurt cake is better known as Gateau au yaourt in French.
Tip: Make this cake with homemade french yogurt.
How to make it?
This french yogurt cake is a family recipe and we have been making it since forever.
You can follow the straightforward steps to prepare this cake from scratch within minutes.
The complete recipe instructions with ingredient details can be viewed further below in the printable recipe card.
In a mixing bowl add the yogurt, flour, sugar baking powder, eggs, and oil.
Combine all the ingredients to a smooth pastry.
Bake your simple cake for about 30-35 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit/180 Celsius.
You can pep up this cake recipe by switching the plain yogurt with yogurt flavors or yogurt varieties such as:
- Vanilla flavored yogurt
- Fruit-flavored yogurts
- thick Greek or Bulgarian Yogurt or Icelandic skyr yogurt
- Non Dairy Yogurts such as coconut milk yogurt or lactose-free
- Curds (thick curdled milk)
- Kefir fermented yogurt
- Homemade Yogurt
For this yogurt cake recipe, you get to choose which cake shape you would like to use.
I like to use square, rectangular or round BPA-free food save silicon molds.
Square or Rectangular shape: 8 x 3-inch (20 x 7.5 cm) or up to 10 x 5 (25 x 12.5 cm)
Round shape: 8 or 9 inch shape (20 or 22)
I used a 9 inch silicon mold in my video.
However, keep in mind that each cake shape will need baking time adjustment which can vary by 5 minutes.
Especially if you use a larger 10 x 5-inch cake pan and not all ovens are the same.
Keep an eye on your cake and do a test by poking with a knife into the cake when you think it's done.
If the knife comes back clean, the cake is ready but if it comes back sticky with dough, bake the cake for another 5-10 minutes and repeat the test.
More Cake Recipes
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
French Yogurt Cake Recipe
- 8.45 fluid ounces Yogurt
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Powder *see Notes
- 7 ounces All Purpose Flour
- 7 ounces Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Tablespoon Oil
- Butter to grease cake pan/mold
- In a mixing bowl add the yogurt, baking powder, all purpose flour, sugar, eggs and oil.
- Mix the contents well to a smooth cake mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius.
- Grease your cake pan with butter.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius.
- Test if your cake is done baking by poking in with a knife. If it comes back clean it's done, or else some more minutes and repeat test.
- Use Baking Powder, not Baking Soda!! These are two different ingredients.
- You can use half amount all-purpose flour and the other half corn flour to make a super fluffy french yogurt cake