I’m obsessed with this mushroom tikka masala because it’s a great meatless alternative to chicken tikka masala.
We love to serve it too along with the chicken version and other north indian meals.
How to make Mushroom Tikka Masala?
Your Mushrooms will marinate first to add mre instensife flavors to your tikka masala dish.
You can skip the marination if you are short on time but I recommend it as it will take your dish to the next level!
I have outlined roughly 3 how to steps below. Find the detailed recipe with ingredients at the bottom of this post.
Clean and cut mushrooms.
Prepare marination with yogurt and spices and coat mushrooms with it.
Sautee onion, bay leaf and tomato.
Build up curry sauce with tomato sauce and liquid cream.
Add marinated mushrooms to the pan and pour stock over that.
Cook mushrooms soft.
Season with salt and garnish with fresh cilantro
This recipe works best with white or brown button mushrooms.
However, you can use other cultivated mushrooms too such as portobello and oyster mushrooms.
If you know your mushrooms, then you can use wild mushrooms too such as morel and chanterelle.
I love my mushroom curry as is but I have also made some variations by adding ingredients.
This comes handy when I have leftovers of fresh vegetables which I don’t want to waste.
You can add any of the following vegetables to this mushroom masala:
- Bell Pepper
- Green Peas
- Potato or Sweet Potato
- Asparagus or Moringa Pod
- Zucchini, pumpkin r other squash
- gourds like snake gourd, ridge gourd, bottle gourd
For non-vegetarians: I also like to add a boiled egg or I don’t mind adding rotisserie meat leftovers too. Grilled Shrimp are great with mushrooms too!
Serve over cooked plain rice or Pilaf rice.
I like it with couscous too or polenta. That’s a decent alternative if you are tired of rice.
Or gobble it up with bread or a flatbread such as chapati or paratha.
Keep leftovers in a airtight fridge friendly container for up to 5 days in your fridge.
Heat it up in a pan over stove top.
You can freeze thid dish too in batches.
Just thaw in the microwave or oven.
If I’m in a huge hurry, I just place the frozen tikka masala in a nonstick pot with a small quantity of water and cover the pot and keep it over a slow heat setting until it’s hot again.
Dear Reader, have you tried the mushroom masala? Let us know how you liked it in the comment section further below!
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Mushroom Tikka Masala Recipe
For the Curry:
- 2 Tablespoons Butter or Ghee
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 piece Bay Leave
- 1 Tomato diced
- 5 Tablespoon Tomato Sauce optional
- 3 1/2 Tablespoon Liquid Cream
- ½ cup Stock
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro to garnish, aka Coriander, chopped
- Clean Mushrooms and cut into two or four, depending on the size.
- Add to a mixing bowl the yogurt and all the marination seasoning ingredients. Cumin, coriander, black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, ginger and garlic. Combine to a smooth paste.
- Add the mushrooms to the marination and mix so that they are completely covered with the yogurt spice blend.
- Marinate preferably for 20 mins at least. If you are short on time, skip that step.
- Prepare and slice onion, dice tomato.
- Heat up a shallow pan with butter or ghee and saute onion slices.
- Add Bay leave and stir in diced tomato. Saute for 1-2 minutes over a medium heat setting.
- Pour in tomato sauce and liquid cream and combine. Keep a medium to high heat setting.
- Stir in marinated mushrooms and pour stock over mushrooms in the pan.
- Keep over a higher heat setting at first and reduce when it starts to bubble too much. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Pick out and discard bay leaf when done cooking. Season with salt.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro (coriander plant) and serve hot.
- Use either fresh and finely chopped ginger and garlic with a ratio of 1:2 OR use ginger and garlic paste.
- Use Button Mushrooms for this recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.