Mushroom Masala is a common dish in my house! This easy to prepare one pot mushroom curry comes together in less then 20 minutes and makes a satisfying spiced mushroom gravy weeknight meal.
Learn how to make Mushroom Masala at home with the step by step instructions and recipe further below:
Mushroom Masala is a comfort dish to unwind after a long day at work and will give you a homely feeling on a wet rainy day. The creamy yogurt based curry with a slight tang and including delicious spices, will find a place in your heart, guaranteed!
This is a dish that I make when I am too tired to think of what to make or when I just want to immerse myself in home cooked flavors.
The Mushroom curry is also creamy nut free, gluten free vegetarian recipe.
As you know I love quick and easy and of course mouthwatering good Indian food dishes. Sometimes a spice kick makes you feel alive, although remember, I am not a fan of spice bombs either.
The Mushroom Masala is spiced but not high in heat, you will enjoy each bite!
Ironically, the first time I came across a mushroom masala was at a wedding. It wasn’t that tasty and rather liquid but I liked the idea of a mushroom curry that I started to imagine the right ingredients for a smashing recipe.
I like my curry creamy and not oily and this is exactly what this mushroom curry is all about.
You will need some of the basic spices to make this mushroom masala at home, such as chili, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder.
Also, a dollop of homemade inviting ginger garlic paste will give your curry another sexy flavor twist. In three words, comforting home food!
The Yogurt lends the curry a slight tang, however, when heating up yogurt for a curry, the yogurt might curdle. BUT there is a trick to that!
Ginger (another reason to add ginger garlic paste) has the ability to keep the yogurt together so that it doesn’t curdle and so while adding liquid cream as well, you can achieve a velvet textured yogurt curry.
The Mushroom Masala Curry is Nut Free, Gluten Free, and Vegetarian. Serve it hot with homemade chapati/roti, nan, bread or just rice.
Mushroom Masala Recipe – One Pot Mushroom Curry Spiced Gravy step by step instructions recipe below:
Mushroom Masala Recipe - One Pot Mushroom Curry
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato diced
- 1/4 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seed Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger + Garlic
- 250 grams Mushrooms makes a store bought pack of mushrooms into half or quarters
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste optional
- 30 milliliter Water
- pinch Salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoon Yogurt
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon fresh Cream
- fresh Coriander Cilantro chopped
- Heat up the oil in a pan and fry first the onion translucent then add the tomato. Stir-fry short and continue to add in the chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and the ginger garlic paste. Stir fry for a minute.
- Now add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes. You can add the tablespoon of tomato paste at this point, it helps in thickening the curry.
- Pour in the water, throw in a pinch of salt, mix the content well and cook for about 5 minutes on a slower heat, while stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft.
- Lower the heat and add the Yogurt to the mixture and the cream too, at the same time. Mix the content well and let it cook on slow heat for another 1-2 minutes so that the flavors can incorporate well.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve hot with rice, roti or simply with bread.
More vegetarian Indian one-pot weeknight meals 🥘
Dear Reader, have you tried the mushroom masala? Let us know how you liked it in the comment section further below!
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Mexican Corn Black Bean Salad Recipe - April 24, 2019
- Mexican Seasoning – Taco Seasoning Recipe Spice Blend [DIY] - April 23, 2019
- Hibachi Fried Rice Recipe [Copycat] - April 19, 2019