Tofu Tikka Masala is a creamy Vegan version of the popular Indian chicken tikka masala dish.
What is Tofu Tikka Masala?
Tofu Tikka Masala is the vegan version of the popular chicken tikka masala, which is an Indian curry.
The curry is based on a spiced cashew curry paste. and water is added to the paste to build up the curry over heat.
The tofu cubes are then added to the curry during the cooking process.
To make this dish easily, I have created a own recipe for the tikka masala sauce which you can get here.
However these are the ingredients just for the curry paste again:
Cashews, Turmeric, Onion, Tomato, Ginger, Garlic, Red Chili Pepper, Cumin, Coriander, Black Pepper and Cinnamon.
The Vegan Tikka Masala Sauce can be frozen in batches.
I usually prepare large amounts of the tikka masala sauce because that way I can use it to prepare other tikka masala dishes such as a vegetable tikka masala.
Prepare the Tikka Masala Sauce within 15 minutes by using the previously prepared tikka masala sauce to save time.
You will only need these 7 ingredients.
- Tikka Masala Sauce as per this recipe
- Bay Leaf
- Cilantro to garnish
I like to use firm or extra firm tofu for this curry.
I cut the tofu into bite sized cubes.
How to make it?
Follow these steps to prepare this tofu tikka masala from scratch within minutes.
Heat up a shallow pan with the oil, add the bay leaf and pour in the tikka masala sauce.
Stir cook the sauce for a minute.
Pour water to the sauce and mix.
Leave the curry to cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the tofu cubes to the curry, mix well and alow the curry to thicken.
The curry will be ready soon after.
Pick out the bay leaf and discard.
Garnish with some cilantro before you serve the curry hot with flat bread or over rice.
More vegan curries
Dear Reader, Did you try the Tofu Tikka Masala Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Tofu Tikka Masala Recipe
- Heat up a shallow pan with the oil and add your bay leaf.
- Pour the Tikka Masala Sauce (defrost if frozen) into the shallow pan wen the oil is getting hot. Stir cook the masala sauce for about a minute or two on a higher heat setting.
- Pour water into the pan to the tikka masala sauce and mix the water in over medium heat.
- Leave to cook for about 5 minutes or until the curry thickens. Stir frequently to check if the curry is not burning on.
- Add your tofu cubes to the cooking curry and cook for another 5 minutes or so. Stir frequently to avoid the curry from burning on at the bottom.
- Season with salt.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve hot with flatbreads such as nan bread or over cooked rice.