A Mulligatawny soup is a must have in your spicy recipe repertoire. Learn how to make mulligatawny soup from scratch at home and surprise your loved ones with a hearty dish and your savoir faire.
Whether you warm up your self during cold nights or you just want a comforting flavor blast this wonderful day, a homemade Mulligatawny soup will be your best friend in any case.
This British-Indian soup dish is a healthy change – it’s going to be your go to dish when you are out of cooking ideas and you are super hungry. Easy to recreate, the Mulligatawny soup doesn’t have any special rules. You just throw in all the ingredients, let it cook and submerge yourself into the flavor experience.
The spiced Mulligatawny soup is a balanced dish as well. You have some flavorful chicken in it (Vegetarians can just leave out the chicken to make it all veg), we have rice which thickens the soup to a lovely consistency, orange colored lentils to add some nutrients for your health, some vegetables and a few selected spices to turn the soup into a perfection in itself.
So, you can confidently add this Indian soup recipe to your recipe collection. I switched the status of this hearty soup from normal, random recipe to a treasured essential in my recipe collection. It turned into a must make dish when the days get shorter and the temperatures drop.
Soups are not part of the Indian food heritage, however when cultures meet with each other, we end up mixing up the best form each, to create something phenomenal for our taste buds. In this case, this colorful inviting soup is just the best example.
Mulligatawny Soup – How to make Mulligatawny Soup below:
- 1 Onion
- 1 small Chili
- 50 grams fresh Celery stalk
- 50 grams Carrot or 1 smaller Carrot
- 130 grams Potato
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste or 1 inch Ginger and 1-2 big Garlic toes
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- 100 grams Chicken breast cut small
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Tomato Puree
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 500 milliliter Water
- 500 milliliter Chicken stock
- 1 Apple
- 2 small Bay leaves
- 100 grams soaked red split Lentils
- 100 grams Rice (Basmati or similar)
- Tablespoon Yogurt to garnish
- Start by preparing your cleaned/peeled ingredients.Chop your onion and chili. Cut your celery stalk into slices, your carrot and potato into small cubes. Place the oil into a pot and fry your onion with the chili and celery until soft. Then add the carrot and stir fry for a minute.
- Continue to add in the potato and stir fry for a minute. Then add the ginger garlic paste (or finely chopped ginger and garlic) as well as the Curry powder and stir fry once again for a minute.
- Then throw in the small cut chicken breast and stir fry once again for a minute. Then add the turmeric, cumin, coriander powder and stir fry again. Continue to pour in the tomato puree salt and pepper and stir fry the whole content. Pour in the water and chicken stock and mix well.
- At that point we peel and cut the apple into small cubes. The apple will give this dish the special zing you are looking for and you will never want to miss it. Add the apple to the soup with the bay leaves, clean lentil and rice. Mix the whole content well and cook for minimum 30 minutes on normal to slow heat until the soup thickened.
- If it gets to dry you can add some liquid during the cooking process. Make sure the lentil and ingredients are soft and properly cooked before serving. Serve hot with some yogurt as garnish.
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Goan Prawn Curry – How to make goan prawn curry recipe with video - February 27, 2017
- Basic Goan Curry Paste | How to make Goan Curry Paste | Indian Paste Recipe for Goan Fish Curry - February 23, 2017
- Masala Herb Recipe Videos – Youtube Channel - February 23, 2017