You will need this Indian Madras Curry Powder Recipe if you are a serious spice lover. The subtle aromatic flavors of the Curry spice mix will fit perfectly into your kitchen and making your own is well worth it!
Find the Curry Powder Recipe further below.
The Curry spice blend is most probably the most traveled spice mixture from India’s past with the British empire, which you will find in the world. You can find it’s influence in the many British Indian dishes as well as in other parts of Asia, Europe and on the American Continent.
While you can add the curry powder to Vegetarian curries or to dry Indian curry dishes, it is also widely used in the Western cuisine in sauces and other dishes.
In Germany, the Currysausage or Currywurst is one of the most popular foods. In fact it’s to the Germans, what the chicken tikka masala is to the British.
Strangely enough the Currywurst has never pick up on popularity in other German speaking countries like Switzerland or Austria. However Curry powder can still be found en masse in the alps. It would be a crime otherwise.
-> Get the free Masala Herb Newsletter
In this world there is something like a curry tree too.
The curry tree grows leafs which are used to be added to coconut curries. The Curry leaf has a distinctive flavor, in fact it’s one of my favorite precious spices.
The leafs are frequently used fresh, which makes it difficult to come across curry leafs in cold countries, however you can get them dried too online or in special Asian stores.
In India you just need to go to the market and ask the vegetable vendor for curry leafs and he will sell you some.
Most houses grow their own Curry plants and some will have a huge tree decorating their garden which emits a distinctive aroma all over the area.
Basically this curry powder recipe can be used in coconut curries, which you pour over your rice, and the curry spice mixture includes curry leaves from the curry plant. Getting confusing?
Making this South Indian Curry Powder recipe won’t take you long, it’s easy and well worth the trouble. You can store the DIY Curry Powder in an airtight container for months and use if over that period in Coconut Curries, dips and other dishes.
Find a list of Dishes where I used this curry powder below the recipe.
Other MasalaHerb.com Videos
Curry Powder Recipe – Madras Curry Spice Mix below:
– What is yellow curry powder made of? –
– How to make curry powder from scratch? –
- 3 dried Kashmir Chills or other partially spicy medium sized dried chili type
- 1 dried Piri Piri Chilli or another dried small spicy chili type
- 10 Curry leafs (you can get that in the local Asian store)
- 2 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1½ Tablespoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp dark Mustard seeds
- 2 Green Cardamom Pods
- 2 dozen Black Pepper seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger powder
- pinch Asafoetida
- 1 Teaspoon dried Fenugreek leafs (Kasuri Methi)
- 3 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
- pinch Clove powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- pinch grated Nutmeg
- You have to dry the whole spices first. Either you dry them in a pan over the fire dry without oil or in the oven.
- If you pick the oven, preheat it to 120 Celsius.
- Keep a baking tray ready and add all the whole spices on it. Dried Kashmir Chili, dried Piri Piri Chili, Curry leafs, Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds, dark Mustard seeds, green Cardamom seeds (discard shell pod) and Black Pepper seeds. Dry bake for 15-20 minutes at 120 Celsius.
- Once dried over the heat, let cool a few minutes.
- In a grinder add all the cooled down dried whole spices and the remaining powder spices and grind to a fine powder mixture.
- Store in an airtight jar, in a cool and dry place. Keep away from direct sunlight.
How I used my Madras Curry powder in my cooking. Find dishes below:
- Curry Mayo
- Mulligatawny Soup
- Aloo Gobi Masala – Easy Potato Cauliflower Curry
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce
- Singapore Noodles – Singapore Chow Mein
How are you planning to use the curry powder recipe?
Do you like homemade seasonings? See some more DIY spice and herb blends to make at home!
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Curried Chicken Salad - November 7, 2018
- How to make Mashed Potato - November 5, 2018
- Easy Ginger Coconut Detox Lentil Soup Recipe [Vegan] - November 2, 2018