A simple flavor fully spiced shrimp stir fry prepared in a skillet over the stovetop within minutes.
They can be served with most Asian side dishes and fried rice or even in Asian flavored Tacos!
This is an overview of the main ingredients to make these stir-fried shrimp. (see recipe card further below for all details)
- shrimp - aka prawns, fresh is best but you can use frozen shrimp that you deveined and cleaned too.
- spring onions or green onions - bulb and stalks are prepped and cooked at seperate times.
- oil - regular cooking oil
- garlic - fresh
- ginger - fresh
The stir fry sauce contains the following 3 ingredients:
- sugar - white or brown
- vinegar - mild viengar as in rice vinegar. You can use distilled vinegar too or something that isn't overpowering. Mix strong vinegar with some water to dilute and soften flavor profile.
- soy sauce - regular kikkoman style soy sauce
For the topping:
- sesame oil - optional but recommended. Use one that you like, not all sesame oils taste the same.
- sesame seeds - I recommend topping with white and black seeds because it looks good.
- red chili pepper flakes - Adds flavor and heat. Can be skipped but looks good as a topping.
🔪 How to make it?
Here is a quick overview on how to make this dish from scratch. The printable recipe with adjustable US and metric measurements is located further below.
Prep and chop garlic and ginger.
Separate spring onion bulbs from the greens and slice bulbs and cut stalks.
Keep shrimp ready and prepare stir fry sauce.
Stir cook spring onion bulbs, ginger and garlic.
Add and cook shrimp. At last pour in stir fry sauce and cook.
Take from the heat and sprinkle topping over that. Red chili flakes, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and green onion stalks.
Store leftover in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
But keep in mind that they are best enjoyed the same day. It's a seafood product after all and it can spoil easily if left out. Also, reheating will dry out your shrimp.
Reheat gradually in a pan over the stovetop or in the oven in a baking dish. A microwave is also an option but the shrimps might turn out chewy.
I don't recommend freezing this dish, because the shrimp will be already cooked through, and freezing cooked through shrimp isn't feasible.
You are better off preparing your shrimp stir fry fresh.
We love these shrimp stir fry with other Asian flavored meals.
But don't limit yourself! Think Asian flavored tacos! You could use the stir-fried spicy shrimp in your tacos with other vegetable toppings.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry Recipe
Main Stir Fry
- 1-2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 inch Ginger peeled and chopped fine
- 2 piece Spring Onions or green onions/scallions
- 8 ounces Shrimp deveined and no shells
- 1 Tablespoon Oil *see Notes
Stir Fry Sauce
- ½ Tablespoon Sugar white or brown
- 2 Teaspoon Vinegar distilled or rice vinegar, *see Notes
- 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce basic Kikkoman-style soy sauce
- Peel and chop garlic and ginger.1-2 cloves Garlic, 1 inch Ginger
- Cut off spring onion bulb end and discard spoiled stalk pieces. Separate bulb from the green stalks. Slice bulb, cut stalks into 2 inch long pieces.
- Keep clean deveined shrimps ready.
- Prepare stir fry sauce by combining all the stir fry sauce ingredients.½ Tablespoon Sugar, 2 Teaspoon Vinegar, 2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- Heat up a wok or shallow pan with oil and wait for it to get hot but it shouldn't smoke. Keep it on a high heat setting.
- Stir in spring onion bulbs and stir cook over a high heat setting for a minute or so.
- Continue to stir in ginger and garlic, keep on the same heat setting. Stir cook for a minute or so.
- Add the shrimp and stir cook over the same heat setting on both sides so that the shrimp cook through.
- When they appear a bit pink and cooked, stir in mixed stir fry sauce and cook for another minute.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle topping over the cooked shrimp. Sprinkle sesame oil, red chili pepper flakes, black and/or white sesame seeds over everything. Also add the green onion stalks.1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil, 2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds, 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- Serve up hot.
- Oil - Use vegetable oil, sunflower, saffola, canola, or any other neutral oil.
- Vinegar - use vinegar with less than 4% acidity, a milder version can be used here. Rice vinegar is preferred but not a must. As a budget option, you can also make your vinegar less strong by mixing in some plain water.