A quick zucchini stir fry with spices to serve as a side dish with your Asian main course meals.
This is a low carb chinese, thai and korean inspired dish. This dish doesn't belong to a particular cuisine.
- oil - can be sunflower oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil.
- zucchini - aka courgette in some countries.
- green onion - fresh, aka spring onion. Bulbs and greens separated.
- ginger - fresh or past form
- garlic - fresh or paste form (ginger garlic paste can be used too)
Stir fry Sauce:
- soy sauce - basic kikkoman style soy sauce
- sugar - regular or brown sugar
- vinegar - rice vinegar is great or any other mild vinegar such as distilled vinegar will do too
- sesame seeds - black and/or white
- chili flakes - optional bust adds taste and makes it look nice
- sesame oil - as a topping
🔪 How to make it?
Here is an overview on how to make this from scratch.
The printable recipe with adjustable US and metric measurements is located further below in the recipe card.
Prepare fresh ingredients. Chop ginger, garlic and cut onion bulb. Keep stalks cut and aside.
Cut zucchini into chunks. Prepare stir fry sauce.
Stir cook onion bulb, ginger and garlic. Add zucchini and stir cook over high heat.
Pour stir fry sauce over cooking zucchini and keep on stir cooking.
When cooked, take from heat and sprinkle topping ingredients over zucchini.
I love this healthy Asian side dish with other East Asian main course meals.
Serve up your spicy stir fried zucchini with stir fried or sautéed shrimp, beef, tofu or chicken.
Also fried rice make a great serve along.
If you are vegan, I recommend serving up these fried spiced zucchini with Asian flavored, broccoli, eggplant, bell pepper, or mushroom.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Reheat in a wok or skillet but not for all too long, just so that the veggies get warm again.
You can reheat it in the microwave too. Please refer to your microwave instructions. Reheat them like other vegetables or squash.
I found that the best way to stir fry zucchini is when cut into larger chunks. I don't recommend slicing zucchini for stir fry because they will get soggy and will lose some of the crispness that we want in this dish and because you will save a lot of time by just cutting them into same-sized chunks. See the how-to pictures for how I creatively cut mine.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Zesty Zucchini Stir Fry Recipe
Stir fry sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Soy sauce
- ½ Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Teaspoon Vinegar
- Rinse Zucchini and pat dry. Keep aside.
- Prepare all the other fresh ingredients. Peel and chop ginger and garlic. Keep aside.
- Separate the onion bulbs from the stalks. Cut the onion bulbs small. Cut the stalks into 1-2 inch long pieces. Keep both separately aside. The stalks will be used as a topping.
- Cut zucchini end off. Cut zucchini in half or quarter and cut into chunks. Keep aside.
- Prepare stir fry sauce by combining sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Keep aside.
- Heat up oil in a wok or deep round shallow pan. Wait for it to get hot.
- Stir in onion and stir cook for aminute over high heat.
- Then add ginger and garlic and stir cook over high heat for another minute.
- Add zucchini pieces and keep on sitr cooking over high heat for about 1 minutes or so.
- Pour quickly stir fry sauce over zucchini, and keep on stir cooking over high heat for about 2 minutes or until you are satisfied. The zucchini should be al dente and not mushy.
- Take from the heat and top zucchini with sesame oil, sesame seeds, red chili pepper flakes and green onion stalks.
- For the oil use sunflower oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, or coconut oil
- 2 small Zucchini = 1 pound = 450 grams
- Use about 1-2 garlic cloves. It depends on the size. If they are large use only one.
- Instead of fresh ginger and garlic, you can use ginger garlic paste too. For 1 inch ginger and 2 cloves, garlic use about 1 heaped Tablespoon ginger garlic paste.