Bratkartoffeln with Bacon is a great dinner meal idea.
The German fries recipe is great with leftover boiled or roasted potatoes.
What are Bratkartoffeln?
Bratkartoffeln are German pan fried Potato Fries.
Boiled potatoes are cut into thick slices and pan-fried with butter and bacon fats until crisp.
This is a very common dish in all German-speaking countries, which includes, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
Braten means to fry and Kartofffeln are the Potatoes.
Hence the name German roasted potatoes or German fried potatoes.
However, german fries will be known under another name in different places because Bratkartoffeln is an upper german name.
For example in Austria and Bavaria, the skillet potato dish will be known as gebratene Erdäpfel or Braterdäpfel.
The Austrian German word for potato is not Kartoffeln, it's Erdäpfel (which means translated earth apple)
How to make it?
Bratkartoffeln are prepared mainly with boiled leftover potatoes.
Here is an overview on how to make, the full recipe with measurements is located further below.
Boil and peel potatoes. Cut potatoes into thick slices.
Keep sliced onion and chopped garlic ready too.
Saute onion, bacon and garlic.
Stir in potatoes slices. Cook on all sides crispy.
Garnish with parsley.
Bratkartoffeln can be prepared without anything extra by just using potatoes.
That way you can serve your vegetarian german fries with other meals such as a Schnitzel.
I always add onions and bacon to my quick-fried potatoes because it tastes better.
I serve this as a meal on its own.
Otherwise, prepare a skillet with potatoes and eggs.
This is commonly done in the alps and it's a meal on itself as well.
These are also known as cottage potatoes because they are common Apré Ski food.
You can also sprinkle some grated cheese over the German potato fries.
If you want a Vegan Bratkartoffeln, then just switch the butter with vegetable oil or olive oil.
Another idea is to add fresh herbs such as thyme to the potato fries, as in this skillet potato recipe just with a German-style twist.
More german recipes
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Bratkartoffeln with Bacon - German Fries Recipe
- Boil your potatoes soft. Let them cool and peel them.
- Cut your potatoes into thick slices. We need thick slices to fry them or it will get messy.
- Heat up a pan and add the butter. Melt the butter
- Add in the onion slices and fry them soft.
- Continue to add in the bacon slices and cook until they change color and they look semi-done.
- Now add the garlic and mix it in. Then season with salt and black pepper and stir cook for a minute.
- Now add the potato slices. Arrange them in the pan so that they all fit.
- Cook the potatoes on all sides on medium heat until crisp and done.
- Garnish your Bratkartoffel with fresh parsley and serve warm on its own or as a side dish with Schnitzel and Sauerbraten.
- Use Cooked leftover potatoes to prepare this dish within 20 minutes. IT will save you time and you don't waste food.