This Thai Vegetable Soup is packed with flavors and nutritious elements.
Make this easy one-pot spicy vegetarian Thai coconut soup within 20 minutes for dinner!
Today’s Thai vegetable Soup is not an authentic traditional Thai soup recipe, but rather a Thai inspired soup prepared with coconut milk and mixed vegetables.
I’m a huge fan of Thai red curry and Thai coconut milk soups and today’s Thai vegetable soup is proof of just that!
Thai vegetable soup ingredients
I make this Thai curry vegetable soup whenever I’m craving Thai flavors and when I want to use up the veggies in my fridge.
The plus point is that you can choose a combination of fresh vegetables that you have in your fridge right now.
Basically, this soup gives you an option to use up veggies that are otherwise turning bad in your fridge!
You can use any of these vegetables:
- Napa Cabbage
- Chinese Broccoli
- Bok Choy (aka Pak Choy)
- Water Spinach (aka Pak Boong)
- Pea Eggplant/Turkey Berry (it’s not really an eggplant)
- Thai Eggplant
- Mushrooms (although not a veggie)
- Bell Pepper
- Baby Corn or Sweet Corn
- Sweet Potatoes
- Potatoes (although not the best choice)
- Carrot (not the best choice either)
- Green Peas (not the best choice)
- Snow Peas
- Banana Flower
- Bitter Melon (if you dare!)
- Turnip Greens
- Mustard Greens
- Sorrel Greens
- Swiss Chard
- Celery greens or root
- Bamboo shoots (although more Chinese)
- Asian long beans (aka yard long beans)
- VA Asian squash and gourds
- Lotus Root
- Drumstick vegetable (aka Moringa)
I used Bok Choy, Pea Eggplants/Turkey Berry, Napa Cabbage and Broccoli for the vegetable curry soup that you can see in the pictures.
Pea Eggplant aka Turkey Berry Vegetable (common food ingredient in Thailand)
For the Coconut milk, you can use the usual Thai coconut milk cans.
This is the quick and easy variation of this coconut curry soup.
If you really want to add flavors and a fuller taste experience to your Thai coconut soup, use a homemade Coconut Milk.
It makes all the difference!
Keep in mind, preparing your own coconut milk can add extra time to your preparation.
In Asia, people still prepare their own coconut milk, even though they like to use modern blenders and grinders for that.
Another major ingredient in this Thai coconut curry soup is a Thai curry paste.
Both pastes are very different in flavor.
Choosing a curry paste and the combination of vegetables will define the flavor profile of your curry.
Also, keep in mind that homemade pastes are usually superior in quality and taste.
That way you can have a different Thai coconut soup recipe result.
Which, quite frankly, I think makes it all the more exciting.
This soup is meant to help you to get used to Thai ingredients.
By combining your own ingredients you will slowly get a hang and feel for all the ingredients involved.
By the way, I used Thai yellow curry paste in the video and pictures.
Other Thai Curry Soup ingredients
I add classic Thai flavor givers to my easy Thai coconut soup so to balance all the flavors properly.
You will taste spicy, sweet, sour, umami and bitter elements in this soup.
The bitter elements depend on your choice of vegetables.
For example, bitter melon and pea eggplants are bitter and add an interesting healthy and taste aspect to the coconut vegetable soup.
My soup also includes Soy Sauce, Fish sauce, Brown Sugar, Vegetable Broth, Lime Juice, fresh Ginger Garlic, Green Onions and fresh Cilantro.
I did not use Kaffir Lime Leaves because to simplify this recipe for you.
I’m aware that Kaffir Lime leaves are not always that easily available.
Use the lime leaves instead of the lime juice if you get this Thai food ingredient.
Dear Reader, what vegetables did you add to your easy Thai vegetable soup?Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
Thai Vegetable Soup Recipe
How to Video
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger + Garlic *see Notes
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Thai Curry Paste *see Notes
- 1 pound Mixed Vegetables see suggestions in the post
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 4 cups Water mixed with concentrated Stock *see Notes
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1/8 cup Lime Juice
- fresh Cilantro to garnish
- Green Onion sliced to garnish
- Use water mixed with concentrated Stock (can be cubes too) or packed or homemade vegetable broth.
- Use Ginger and Garlic freshly chopped (ginger 1/3 & garlic 2/3) or use ginger and garlic paste.
- Pick red or yellow Thai curry paste, whichever you prefer.
- Choose a mix of vegetables. See in the post for suggestions. I used about 100 grams bok choy, 40 grams pea eggplant, 160 grams napa cabbage, and 100 grams broccoli, which equals the 500 grams/ ~1 pound mixed veggies.
- The soup is great for meal prep and remains good for days in the fridge.
- Reduce the amount of curry paste if you want it less spicy.
- You can turn this Thai vegetable soup vegan by skipping the fish sauce or by using vegan oyster sauce instead.