This is a quick Haluski Recipe which I picked up from my former Slowak work buddies.
Traditionally, Halušky is prepared with homemade noodles, this is an easy weeknight dinner Haluski with noodles, cabbage and bacon which you can prepare within 20 mins.
What is Haluski or Halušky?
Halušky are various noodles and dumplings or even the name of the dish itself prepared with the noodles.
It’s a common meal in central Europen countries, such as Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Poland.
The noodle dumpling dish was introduced to the UK and US due to the influx of foreign workers who immigrated from these countries with their families.
Haluski is the misspelling but the common name these days of the delicious Halušky noodle dish remains to be Haluski.
I got to taste my first haluski when the Slovakian cook prepared it for the staff in a hotel where I worked in Austria.
All the stuff is either from Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Poland, Croatia or Bosnia, so the food was most of the time from those countries.
The cook had a quick cabbage and noodles Haluski recipe which he would prepare with some bacon (which adds flavor) and cabbage (because well let’s face it cabbage is budget-friendly) for the staff.
Usually, Halušky is prepared by shaping Gnocchi-like noodle dumplings and cooking them in hot boiling water.
Our cook would simply boil some noodles to save time.
AND the result was always a delicious lunch meal!
For this quick and easy budget-friendly cabbage and noodles Haluski you will need the following ingredients:
For this quick haluski recipe you can use whichever pasta you like or whichever one you have in your pantry.
I like to use bow tie pasta (Farfalle) with my haluski and I always use egg noodle pasta because the taste is superior.
Brands like Barilla don’t disappoint and are worth the money for the quality that you get!
The bacon is the sole taste giver of this haluski recipe!
I mean, you could turn this haluski vegetarian but I don’t think so it would make sense because it would be a boring dish without the bacon.
I always hunt down the best bacon cuts when I intend to prepare this quick haluski.
Gourmet Bacon or Artisan Bacon give this dish the special flavors which you will be craving for!
A little goes a long way too!
You can also use smoked Speck (as it is commonly done in central Europe).
The advantage of Speck is that you don’t need to cook it and you can just cut it into the pasta.
Which can save you a few cooking minutes.
Pick a Speck which has a clear origin, the good ones are prepared in the mountains.
Pick a white cabbage variety, the red/purple cabbage doesn’t suite the dish.
Cabbage is usually anywhere in the world a budget food ingredient.
Harvest season for cabbage is fro late August, September to early October and that’s when you get the best cabbage!
Similar Recipe Ideas:
Quick Haluski Recipe below:
Dear Reader, Have you tried the Haluski Recipe?Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
Quick Haluski Recipe
How to Video
- 4 1/3 cups Bow Tie Pasta Farfalle Pasta, cooked *see Notes
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1/4 cup Bacon raw, sliced small
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Cabbage shredded
- Salt to taste
- Cook the Pasta according to packet instructions.
- Heat up a pan and melt the butter
- Add in the sliced onions and the bacon. Mix and stir cook occasionally. The onion should be soft and the bacon fats should melt and get a bit crispy or at least cooked.
- Throw in the Black Pepper and mix.
- Now, add the shredded raw cabbage and mix well. Cook until the cabbage gets soft
- Season with Salt to taste and add the pasta as well.
- Mix everything thoroughly and serve hot.
- You can choose whichever pasta variety you like for this recipe. It’s not an authentic halusky recipe, that’s why you have space to play around!
- Uncooked dry pasta measurements: 250 grams or 8.8 ounces