Chicken Pad Thai is one of my all-time favorite Asian noodle dishes.
The popular Thai meal is not only tasty but healthy as well, and brace yourself, a super quick 20-minute prep and cook dinner recipe!
It’s a win-win all along and this chicken pad thai is going to be your next favorite recipe at home!
Trust me, I know what I am saying.
Learn within a minute with the quick video how to prepare this chicken pad thai from scratch with a homemade pad thai sauce.
What is Pad Thai?
Pad Thai is, as the name suggests, a Thai dish.
The word pad means fried in Thai.
Therefore, pad thai is a stir-fried rice noodle dish.
In Thailand, pad thai has a lot of meaning as it is connected to the history of the south-east Asian nation.
Chinese traders were omnipresent for centuries in Thailand an brought along their favorite meals.
Eventually, noodles became a thing just that Thai folks turned the usually Chinese egg noodles into rice-based noodles.
That is why broad rice noodles are used to make pad thai.
The Pad Thai sauce is another essential unique ingredient to the pad thai dish which makes it stand out.
Pad Thai sauce, made from scratch, consists of balanced flavors of sweet sour and salty.
The local Thai ingredients used which reflect the food soul of the country, are tamarind paste (sour), palm sugar (sweet) and soy sauce (salty).
The ingredients for an authentic pad thai can be varied as it depends on the region and town in Thailand.
Shrimp, banana flower and mung bean sprouts are common ingredients of a proper Pad Thai.
However, one thing is sure, a true pad thai doesn’t include carrot and chicken as ingredients.
Yet, the rest of the world has embraced pad thai as their own, thanks to Thai fast food joints scattered around the world.
So, variations with chicken, carrot and cabbage have become the pad thai of the west!
How to make Chicken Pad Thai?
This particular Chicken Pad Thai Recipe was adapted from my local Thai take away, Nini’s place.
I do not add carrot because I don’t think it suits a pad thai dish.
You will follow the 3 stages to prepare this chicken pad thai to be quicker in your preparation and to work efficiently.
- Soak the Pad Thai rice noodles – These noodles are not cooked but soaked
- Peel, cut and keep your ingredients ready for the Pad Thai such as your shallots and chicken
- Stir fry your ingredients, noodles with the sauce.
It would be the 4th stage if you had the prepare the sauce.
We have a homemade prepared pad thai sauce, therefore we save a lot of time since we don’t have to prep the sauce.
More Recipe ideas:
- Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- Thai Coconut Chicken Soup – Tom Kha Gai
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
By the way, if you want to learn more Thai food.
I recommend checking out Pailin’s Kitchen aka Hot Thai Kitchen.
I have been following her channel forever now and love all her dishes.
She published a Thai cookbook too, which is highly recommended if you are serious about Thai food!
Dear Reader, where did you get to try your first pad thai in your lifetime?Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
Easy Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
How to Video
For the Pad Thai:
For the garnish:
- Peanuts crushed
- Green Onion stalks sliced, aka Spring Onion
- red Pepper Flakes
- Juice of Lime
- First, keep your Rice Noodles to soak with water according to package instructions. About 10-15 mins.
- In the meanwhile slice your spring onion bulbs and shallots. Cut the chicken into strips.
- Heat up a pan and add the oil, fry your spring onion bulb and shallot soft.
- Once the onion is translucent, make space at the side so that you can break in the eggs. Scramble the eggs and let cook a bit. Eventually, break eggs and stir fry/mix.
- Add in Chicken and stir fry and cook. Mix the whole content well.
- Now add in the pad Thai sauce and mix + stir fry again.
- Next, add the mung bean sprouts and stir-fry one again.
- At the end add your soaked rice noodles to the pan and stir-fry + mix on high heat so that the noodles are covered well and get cooked.
- Before you serve sprinkle with crushed peanuts, red chili flakes, the cut green spring onion stalks and lime/lemon juice.