Asian inspired Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry skillet, prepared in just one-pan within minutes. Enjoy this delicious cabbage chicken meal to the fullest, because it’s gluten-free & low-carb as well!
Watch below the how-to video and get the step by step recipe!
How did I come to this chicken cabbage stir fry recipe?
One night I was about to cook a vegetarian chow mein. I had prepared and cut all the fresh ingredients when I realized I was out of Chinese egg noodles (aka Low Mein noodles).
I decided to move on anyway because let’s face it, you gotta eat when you are hungry!
So, I prepared a chicken cabbage stir fry but with carrots. The end result was alright, the carrots were too much of the good. I skipped the carrots next time when I prepared it again and that is how this quick chicken cabbage stir fry came to be.
Chicken Cabbage Stir fry Ingredients
The chicken and cabbage meal is low in carbs, gluten-free and includes wholesome ingredients.
You can switch some of the ingredients to your liking if you prefer. I mention below each some of the ingredients how you can substitute them effectively.
For the chicken use, boneless breast or boneless legs lean chicken pieces. I shredded the chicken into lengthy bite-sized equal bites. Try to get A grade chicken, it’s superior in quality and won’t turn chewy during the cooking process.
You can substitute the chicken with boneless turkey meat.
I simply tend to use whichever cabbage I have in my fridge and that can be the regular globally most common cabbage head or it can also be a Chinese cabbage variety such as Napa Cabbage.
Ginger & Garlic
Both Ginger and Garlic, go hand in hand and are common in Asian cuisine. The ginger lends the dish a warm spicy touch and the garlic compliments these flavors.
Also called Spring Onions, green onions are used to create flavor and to garnish the dish. Separate the bulb from the stalks and use the sliced stalks as a garnish.
I use regular thin Soy Sauce here. It acts as a stir fry sauce. The soy sauce is added while you sauté the cabbage and chicken. IT adds flavor and salty touch to the meal.
I like to just sprinkle some sesame seeds, black and/or white, over my meal. That is to give it an Asian touch altogether. You can also simply sprinkle some sesame oil over the meal.
Red Pepper Flakes (aka Red Chili Flakes)
The pepper flakes add little heat and are great as a garnish because of the red shredded bits. It’s visually appealing and this is why I add it as a garnish at the end.
How to make chicken cabbage stir fry? [VIDEO]
The cabbage and chicken stir-fry is one of the easiest one-pan meals ever. Besides, the flavorful dish is healthy and prepared with only a few ingredients.
More Cabbage Dinner Recipe Ideas
Quick Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe below:
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2-3 Green Onions, bulb and stalks separated and sliced
- inch Ginger chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 300 grams (10.6 ounces) Cabbage shredded
- 240 grams (8.5 ounces) Boneless Chicken breast cut into strips
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 50 milliliter (1.7 fluid ounces) Water
- Sesame Seeds or Sesame Oil
- Red Pepper Flakes (Red Chili Flakes)
- Keep all the ingredients ready. Slice the green onion and keep the white bulb and the green stalks separate. We will use the stalks as a garnish. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Shredd cabbage. chop ginger and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the onion bulb slices.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic and stir fry for a minute as well.
- Add cabbage and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the cabbage takes up less space in the pan. I like to use Chinese cooking chopsticks to stir-fry because they are longer and easier to use.
- Make some space in the center and add chicken strips and stir fry. Mix the cabbage over the chicken and sauté everything. Make sure the chicken is cooked on all sides. The cabbage helps in keeping the chicken from turning chewy while cooking, however, make sure to not overcook the chicken on very high heat. Take it easy with the heat.
- Pour the soy sauce and water over the chicken cabbage stir fry and mix well. Sauté 2 minutes over medium high heat.
- Once the chicken is cooked, the cabbage is crisp and tender and the liquid has dissolved, take from the heat and sprinkle some sesame seeds or sesame oil, as well as red pepper flakes over the cabbage chicken skillet meal. Spread the sliced green onion over the dish and serve still hot.
Dear Reader, have you tried the recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the commetn section further below!