My Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup is prepared and cooked in one pot within 20 minutes.
Delightful Asian chicken soup flavors with egg noodles, which is super comforting when it’s cold outside.
Chinese chicken noodle soups are a common occurrence in Chinese or Asian themed restaurants in the west.
Every time we come across a Chinese food place in our travels, I tend to pick this soup.
That’s is how I ended up trying a lot of Chinese chicken noodle soup variations.
They all were an inspiration for my own Chinese chicken noodle soup recipe.
We have a big heart for Asian noodle soups and if you love them as much as we do, then you might enjoy the following Asian noodle soups as well.
Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
My Chinese chicken noodle soup contains a couple of ingredients.
Napa Cabbage is also known as Chinese Cabbage.
I love shredding this cabbage (lettuce) variety and then I stir fry it for just a minute for the soup.
I prefer this cabbage than to regular cabbage because the napa cabbage flavors and consistency is more subtle and suitable for the dish.
You can always substitute the Napa Cabbage with regular white cabbage if you can’t get napa cabbage.
I use fresh raw A Grade chicken breast cut into pieces but you can also use rotisserie cooked chicken.
If you use the latter, add the chicken at the end to the dish because it’s already cooked.
The Soy-based Sauce
To add easily delicious Chinese flavors to my soup I mix together first brown sugar (sweet), soy sauce and fish sauce (salty) as well as vinegar (acidic).
This sauce will take your chicken noodle soup to another level of awesomeness.
For the vinegar, you can use rice vinegar or white regular vinegar.
Other flavor giving ingredients
Oh and don’t forget the green onion bulbs and greens (aka spring onions)!
I slice the white onion bulbs and cook them first.
The greens are used as a garnish with the red chili flakes together
For the Noodles use Chinese egg noodles.
Sometimes these noodles are known as Chinese noodles, chow mein or lo mein noodles, Hakka noodles or Asian noodles.
Please don’t use spaghetti, the flavor profile is not the same.
More Chinese inspired recipes:
One-Pot Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
How to Video
For the Soy-based homemade Sauce:
For the Soup:
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2-3 Green Onion Bulbs aka spring onion, sliced
- 1 cup Napa Cabbage aka Chinese Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger + Garlic finely chopped or paste of Ginger and Garlic
- 1 medium-sized Chicken Breast
- 1/4 gallon Water mixed with concentrated Stock *see notes
- 2 Tablespoon Chinese Rice Wine
- about 1/2 pack Lo Mein Noodles
- Chili Flakes
- few drops Sesame Oil to optional
- Green Onion Stalks remaining from the bulbs sliced
- First mix together the soy-based sauce ingredients, including brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Keep aside
- Then make sure that all your fresh ingredients are cut before you start cooking. Slice your green onion bulbs and the greens (keep both separate because the greens are used as a garnish), shred your napa cabbage, cut your chicken small, and chop or smash your ginger and garlic if you use them fresh.
- Heat up a pan and add the cooking oil. Then throw in the sliced green onion bulbs and the napa cabbage. Stir-fry for 1 minute on high heat.
- Push all the ingredients aside in the hot pan and add the ginger and garlic, stir-fry for a few seconds (take down the heat because it can jump up).
- Next, add in the chicken pieces and cook them on all sides equally well.
- Pour in the broth and add your previously prepared soy-based sauce as well as the Chinese cooking wine.
- Mix everything well and allow your soup to cook covered for about 7 minutes or until you think the flavors are spot on.
- Minutes before serving time, ad your noodles to your cooking soup. The noodles cook super quickly!
- Serve with chili flakes, few drops of sesame oil and the sliced green onion stalks.
- For the broth use a mixture of broth with water to lighten the broth flavors. Or mix hot water with 1/2 plain soup cube. Whichever you prefer.