Wholesome thick Carrot Ginger Soup, spiced and full of flavors.
I show you how to make this soup from scratch and give you some ingredient options and even a vegan option.
How to make this soup?
Carrot and ginger go hand in hand in this fall and winter soup.
Here is an overview on how to easily make your own batch at home. This should help you decide if you want to make this tonight.
The complete recipe with US and metric measurements is located at the bottom of this post in the recipe card.
Prep and cut fresh produce; carrot, ginger, garlic and onion.
Cook onion in olive oil with ginger and garlic.
Add carrots, seasoning, broth and water.
Cook all the ingredients until soft.
Blend soup ingredients, add cream and mix.
You can choose to use different varieties of carrots to make this soup.
Another idea is to use ginger and garlic paste instead of fresh ginger and garlic. That will save you some time when prepping the ingredients.
This is a thick soup. You can reduce the number of carrots in the recipe to thin it out but switch the carrots out with more broth and water.
To make this soup plant based vegan, switch the table cream with coconut cream or thick coconut milk.
Here are some more spices that you can add to call this soup your own:
- turmeric (aka curcuma)
- green cardamom or black cardamom
- chili pepper such as cayenne
- sichuan pepper
- lemon juice or zest
- fresh cilantro
We love this soup with garlic bread or healthier spelt bread.
You can prepare batches of this soup by prepping a few fridge or freezer friendly containers.
You can use glass or tupperware containers that seal well.
The soup keeps well for about 5 days in the fridge and for about 2 months in the freezer.
If you want to heat up a frozen soup, place it into the microwave to heat up or simply in a pot over the stove top. Heat up until hot enough to eat.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe
- Wash carrots. Peel if necessary and cut off the end. Cut carrots small.
- Peel ginger and cut small or grate. (Cut small if you have a good blender or else it is better to grate).
- Also prep onion and garlic. Slice onion and chop garlic.
- Heat up soup pot with olive oil and sautee onion, ginger and garlic.
- Stir in carrots and keep over medium heat.
- Continue to pour in broth and water.
- Season with salt, black pepper, cumin, ground coriander, paprika, nutmeg and add a bay leaf. Mix well.
- Keep over medium heat and cover. Cook carrots soft.
- When carrots are cooked through, take out bay leaf and discard.
- Take from the heat, blend the soup smooth with a hand blender.
- Take back to the stovetop over a low heat setting and stir in cream.
- Serve hot with bread and salad.
- Use unsweetened table cream, fresh cream, or heavy cream. To make it vegan use coconut cream or thick coconut milk.
- Besides cilantro, I used fresh cracked pepper to garnish in the pictures.