The vegan caviar bites are a great plant-based option at a party or for a holiday gathering.
📕 What are these Appetizer Bites?
I came up with these little vegan bites because I wanted to use seaweed pearls the way I would use caviar for a party.
I thought of my smoked salmon bites and decided to add mango too, for flavor and aesthetic value.
You can make these for your vegan friends or for yourself any time of the day. Yet, the main purpose is to serve these bites at a party as finger food.
Here is an overview, to help you get organized. The full recipe with US and metric measurements is located further below in the recipe card.
- vegan caviar - also known as seaweed pearls. They come in black or orange. I chose black for the aesthetics.
- mango - fresh mango fruit pieces. Adds fruityness and kinds of replaces, in a plant-based way, smoked salmon.
- vegan cream cheese - you mainly get oatmeal, coconut or soy milk based cream cheese in the vegan produce ail. I used oatmeal based cream cheese here. You might want to compare your dairy-free cream cheese options.
- baguette bread or any other bread
All the ingredients are great in their natural color but you could color them to suit a theme.
For example for Halloween, you could color your vegan cream cheese black with black food dye and use orange colored seaweed pearls.
Altough the colors chosen here are kind of Halloween inspired already(mango orange, seaweed pearls black).
As an alternative to mango, you can use papaya too. This is a better choice if you don't want it to be sweet. Papaya is not that sweet compared to mango.
🔪 How to make them?
Here is how it's done, this is a little guide. The full recipe is located in the recipe card further below.
Cut your bread into slices. I like the 1 inch thick slices.
Cut your mango into smaller sliced pieces to fit on your bread.
Spread the vegan cream cheese over your bread slices.
Arrange seaweed pearls and mango slices over your bread.
Choose a design that you like.
You can prepare them a few hours in advance for your party.
Place them in an airtight container next to each other in your fridge but not over each other. Or keep them on a wooden board or even plate and place a clean wrap over your precious food bites.
They don't store that well for that much longer because the bread gets hard in time.
Vegan Caviar Appetizer Bites
- 1 Baguette
- ¼ Mango fresh
- 3.5 ounces Vegan Cream cheese *see Notes
- 1 jar Vegan Caviar black or orange
- Cut your bread into about 1 inch or 2 centimeter thick slices.1 Baguette
- Cut your fresh mango open. You won't need the whole mango just a fraction. Cut into smaller manageable pieces, which you can then place on your breads as a pretty looking topping.¼ Mango
- Spread a layer of vegan cream cheese over your bread slices.3.5 ounces Vegan Cream cheese
- Top each bread with a piece of mango and some of the vegan caviar. You can play around with the design. Take a look at my images for some simple ideas.¼ Mango, 1 jar Vegan Caviar
- Serve up.
- You can switch the mango with papaya fruit too if you don't want it sweet.
- The type of vegan cream cheese is your choice. There are different varieties such as coconut based, cashew based, oat milk based and so on. 3.5 ounces is about ½ a small pack or 100 grams.
- Vegan caviar is also known as Seaweed Pearls
- Bread Knife
- Butter Knife