Ridge Gourd Bake Casserole is a delicious Week night dinner idea.
The Ridge Gourd is a gourd vegetable growing in the tropical regions of this world, and most particularly on the Indian subcontinent.
Learn how to use this healthy vegetable in this ridge gourd bake casserole with the step by step recipe further below:
My all time favorite vegetable on the Indian subcontinent can only be the humble Ridge gourd, which is also known as Luffa in English.
It's versatile, easy to handle and it soaks in flavors like a sponge.
Of course the Ridge gourd has a delicious flavor that could be described as smooth, a bit earthy.
I can compare the flavors to vegetables such as the white Pumpkin, Zucchini and the Asian Eggplant.
I have introduced you earlier to the Ridge gourd and of course I have been eagerly developing savory Eastern and Western recipes for your home.
Today I have this western style Ridge Gourd Bake for you which comes close to a favorite Zucchini Recipe of my mom's.
She would make this recipe during autumn time, exactly when we were loaded with Zucchinis in Europe.
I am aware of the fact that many of you might never have encountered a ridge gourd at the farmers market.
In fact it is still a rare vegetable in our markets.
India is loaded with Ridge gourd and right now is the season when the vegetable grows the best, especially in the tropical state Goa.
Growing Ridge Gourd at home
The Ridge gourd seeds that I had planted more then a month ago in our garden have been growing well.
Though I do have some ugly hairy, and poisonous, caterpillars devouring the leaves.
My experience: Growing anything around the Western Ghats is a huge challenge!
Anyway... the Ridge Gourd is a vegetable to look out for and I believe you would have as much appreciation for it in the future as we do here!
Enjoy this easy weeknight or lunch Ridge gourd bake at home and keep in mind to use only fresh Ridge gourds
If the gourds aren't fresh there is a tendency the taste might alter and become a bit bitter.
If you have any questions around the ridge gourd and on how to prepare it otherwise, feel free to contact me.
I'll be happy to assist you in your cooking quest.
Dear Reader, have you ever cooked with the Ridge Gourd and if yes, what did you prepare?
Global Food Recipes
with Spices and Herbs
Free E-Book available for a limited time. Grab yours now and get instantly inspired!
You missed out!
Ridge Gourd Bake Casserole
- 2 Ridge Gourds medium size
- 1 Onion
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Garlic chopped
- ½ small Bell Pepper
- 200 grams Button Mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil one for the frying and one for the drizzle
- 200 milliliter Tomato Puree
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin ground
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- pinch Salt
- pinch Black Pepper
- 50 grams Cheese grated
- Peel the Ridge gourds completely (all the green skin off!), cut the end of, half them and place them cut size up in a baking form as shown.
- Chop your onion roughly and chop your garlic. Slice your capsicum into stripes and slice the stripes into smaller once. Peel your Button Mushrooms and roughly chop them too.
- Heat up a pan with 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and fry your onion pieces translucent. Add the Garlic and Capsicum and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until a bit softer. Now add the roughly chopped Button Mushrooms as well and stir fry occasionally. Lots of water usually comes out of the mushrooms and the chopped pieces will shrink a bit. Fry until they seem to be cooked.
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius.
- Continue to add in the whole amount of the Tomato Paste and mix it in and season with Cumin Powder, Pizza Herb seasoning, pinch Salt & Pepper. Cook the whole content on a slower flame until the liquidity is reduced.
- Pour the whole tomato mushroom content onto the prepared Ridge gourds and spread into an even layer. Top with the grated Cheese and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly on top and place the dish into the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the top is getting golden brown.
- Enjoy the Ridge Gourd bake as a main or as a Side.