Ridge Gourd Bake Casserole is a delicious Week night dinner idea. The Ridge Gourd is a gourd vegetable growing in the tropical regions of this world, and most particularly in the Indian subcontinent.
Learn how to use this healthy vegetable in this ridge gourd bake casserole with the step by step recipe further below:
My all time favorite vegetable in the Indian subcontinent can only be the humble Ridge gourd, which is also known as Luffa in English. It’s versatile, easy to handle and it soaks in flavors like a sponge. Of course the Ridge gourd has some delicious flavors that could be described as smooth, a bit earthy and I can compare the flavors also to vegetables such as the white Pumpkin, Zucchini and the Asian Eggplant.
I have used and introduced you before to the Ridge gourd and of course I have been eagerly developing savory Eastern and Western Ridge gourd recipes for your home. Today I have this western style Ridge Gourd Bake for you which comes close to a favorite Zucchini Recipe of my mom’s. She would make this recipe during autumn time, exactly when we were loaded with Zucchinis in Europe.
I am aware of the fact that many of you might never have encountered a ridge gourd at the farmers market. In fact it is still a rare vegetables in our markets, although I think the ridge gourd has been receiving a revival if not a greater appreciation in this world. India is loaded with Ridge gourds and right now is the season when the vegetable grows the best, especially in the tropical state Goa.
The Ridge gourd seeds that I had planted more then a month ago in our garden have been growing well, except that I have some ugly hairy, and a bit poisonous, caterpillars devouring the leafs. My experience: Growing anything around the Western Ghats is a huge challenge!
Anyway… the Ridge Gourd is a vegetable to look out for and I believe you would have as much appreciation for it in the future as we do here! Enjoy this easy weeknight or lunch Ridge gourd bake at home and keep in mind to use only fresh Ridge gourds or the vegetable’s taste might alter a bit bitter when not used in a fresh condition.
If you have any questions around the ridge gourd and on how to prepare it otherwise, feel free to contact me, I ll be happy to assist you in your cooking quest. Otherwise, for the mean time you might want to check out the Ridge Gourd Bhaji (Spicy vegetarian Indian stir fry side dish) or my Quiche de Goa with Breadfruit and Luffa Veg for inspiration.
My Other Recipes
Ridge Gourd Bake Casserole Recipe further below:
- 2 Ridge Gourds medium size
- 1 Onion
- 1½ Tablespoons chopped Garlic
- ½ small green Capsicum
- 200 grams Button Mushrooms
- about 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (one for the frying and one for the drizzle)
- 200 milliliter Tomato Paste
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Pizza Herb Seasoning
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 50 grams grated Cheese
- Peel the Ridge gourds completely (all the green skin off!), cut the end of, half them and place them cut size up in a baking form as shown.
- Chop your onion roughly and chop your garlic. Slice your capsicum into stripes and slice the stripes into smaller once. Peel your Button Mushrooms and roughly chop them too.
- Heat up a pan with 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and fry your onion pieces translucent. Add the Garlic and Capsicum and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until a bit softer. Now add the roughly chopped Button Mushrooms as well and stir fry occasionally. Lots of water usually comes out of the mushrooms and the chopped pieces will shrink a bit. Fry until they seem to be cooked.
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius.
- Continue to add in the whole amount of the Tomato Paste and mix it in and season with Cumin Powder, Pizza Herb seasoning, pinch Salt & Pepper. Cook the whole content on a slower flame until the liquidity is reduced.
- Pour the whole tomato mushroom content onto the prepared Ridge gourds and spread into an even layer. Top with the grated Cheese and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly on top and place the dish into the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the top is getting golden brown.
- Enjoy the Ridge Gourd bake as a main or as a Side.