Cheesy and flavorful chicken pasta bake in a homemade white sauce.
This is a family comfort food favorite!
The baked pasta dish is essentially a pasta dish with a chicken white sauce (bechamel).
It's an easy comfort dinner meal for the whole family!
You will need the following ingredients:
- pasta - I used a small flat variety, similar to farfalle. You can use your favorite pasta variety.
- chicken breast boneless - you can use leftover rotisserie chicken too
- olive oil and butter
- all-purpose flour
- cheese - grated cheese of your choice. I like cheddar, pizza cheese.
- salt & black pepper
- Italian seasoning or oregano
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- Dijon mustard - optional but I recommend you add it for flavor and because it helps to bind the sauce.
How to make this Chicken Pasta Bake?
The baked chicken pasta casserole is prepaed in 3 steps.
Here is an overview on how it comes together.
The ingredients with measurements and instruction details is located in the recipe card further below.
The how to video is the pop up.
Boil pasta soft.
Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
Cook chicken with seasoning in olive oil in a skillet.
Prepare sauce. Melt butter and mix flour in.
Pour some milk into the pan and and whisk it into the flour butter mixture over the heat to build up the sauce.
Continue to mix and add remaining milk until you have a smooth sauce that is thickening over the stove top.
Season your sauce, add cheese and chicken.
Spread pasta in a casserole baking dish.
Pour chicken cheese sauce over the pasta and mix it in.
Top with more cheese
Bake until golden.
You can store leftovers covered in the fridge or place them in an airtight container.
Leftovers are good for up to 4 days in your fridge.
Reheat by placing the casserole dish with chicken pasta bake in your oven. Warm-up at 350 F./180 C. until the dish is hot enough on the inside.
OR you can reheat the pasta dish in your microwave in a microwave-proof dish.
You can prepare the recipe too and freeze it in the casserole dish.
Thaw it in the fridge overnight or place frozen in the oven and add about 20-30 mins more to the cooking time.
More Pasta Casserole Recipes
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Chicken Pasta Bake Recipe
- 8 ounces Pasta half pack
For the Sauce
- ½ cup Grated Cheese
- Bring water to boil with salt. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Cut chicken breast into smaller bite-size pieces.
- Heat up a skillet with the olive oil and add chicken.
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper and cook on all sides.
- Take chicken from the skillet and keep it aside for later. Bring skillet back to the heat and add butter.
- Stir all-purpose flour into the butter over a medium to slow heat setting and mix in.
- Quickly continue to pour in some of the milk and whisk it into the flour-butter mixture. Continue to whisk and to do that until you used up all the milk, and the sauce is looking smooth without pieces.
- Takedown the heat to a low flame. Stir in salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning (or oregano), and dijon mustard. Combine and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Stir in cheese and cooked chicken from earlier. Combine to a cheesy chicken sauce.
- Heat up oven to 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius.
- Place cooked pasta into the baking dish and pour chicken white sauce over the paste. Spread and mix the sauce into pasta.
- Top it all with grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius for about 20 minutes or until it looks golden crispy baked.
- 13" Rectangular Baking Dish