Rice Patties are a great addition to your weekly meal plan to switch up things.
These pan-fried savory rice cakes with carrots are prepared with leftover rice and are vegetarian and gluten-free.
I created these rice patty cakes to celebrate rice in all its forms and shapes.
Just FYI, rice patties are at times also known as rice cakes.
How to make rice patties aka rice cakes?
My rice patty recipe is made of leftover rice mixed with other ingredients and turned into flattened rice cakes.
These are then fried in a pan crispy with some oil.
Making rice cakes at home has never been easier!
Fried Rice Cake Ingredients
I like to use Basmati leftover cooked rice or even brown rice for my leftover rice patties. You can use whichever brown, wild rice or regular white rice variety you prefer, it doesn’t matter long or short grain. Make this vegetarian rice cake recipe your own!
Carrot is my choice to enhance my leftover fried rice patties, however, you can switch the carrots with another vegetable. You can make cauliflower rice patties or broccoli rice patties (you get the idea).
The seasoning in my fried rice patty recipe is very simple and straight forward, yet flavorful and compliment the rice taste.
I add an egg to my rice cake so that everything holds together, however, to turn it into a vegan rice cakes recipe, simply omit the egg. Keep in mind that the rice cakes might not hold together.
Do you know how rice is cultivated?
Rice is a very important staple in most cultures and is also an important food ingredient to all of us.
The rice seeds are sown in wet water-filled rice paddy fields. Birds like to pick up the seeds so someone needs to keep an eye on the seeds. Yet, the rice seeds will sprout quickly within days!
Another method is to plant young saplings, which is quite laborious but guarantees a higher yield.
It usually takes about 3 months for the rice plant to produce rice kernels and then it’s harvest time.
The rice is harvested, then dried in the sun. The chaff needs to be separated from the seeds
I have observed a method in Asia where they throw a bag full of rice seeds with chaff into a running fan. The chaff is lighter and separated from the seed kernels.
So, as you can see, there is a whole process in producing quality rice. The rice variety and seed quality is important!
This should have us be more mindful of each bite.
Rice Patties Recipe with Carrots
- 3 cups Rice cooked leftover rice
- 1 small Carrot roughly grated or cut small
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoon Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
- Add to a mixing bowl all the ingredients except the oil. This includes the rice, carrot, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin powder, black pepper, salt, egg and breadcrumbs.
- Mix everything well so that the ingredients are incorporated.
- Form the patties into even shapes so that they are all the same size. That way the fried patties will cook the same amount of time.
- Fry the patties on all sides golden.
- Serve still hot as a vegetarian main dish, side dish or enjoy as a snack with a dipping sauce.
- Pick your favorite rice variety. I used basmati rice in the pictures. You can also make wild rice patties or brown rice patties, which are healthier.
- Switch the carrot for cooked cauliflower or broccoli to prepare variations of the rice patties.
- Recipe adapted from Chefkoch.de
How to enjoy these rice cakes?
- Use the patties to make veg friendly rice burgers
- Serve as a snack with dipping sauce
- Enjoy with a meat sauce and veggies
More Leftover Rice Recipes:
- Panda Express Fried Rice
- Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- Mediterranean Rice
- Lemon Rice
- Southwest Stuffed Peppers
Dear Reader, how are you going to enjoy these rice patties?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!