Simple Potatoe Egg Casserole, flavorful and super delicious.
Serve it up as a side dish or pep it up to make it for dinner or breakfast. I have added some ideas to the recipe.
You will need the following ingredients to make this dish:
- Table Cream or Whipping Cream or half and half
- Salt and Pepper
- Italian Seasoning or Oregano
- Dijon Mustard (optional)
How to make the egg potato casserole?
You will love this dish because it not only tastes great but it’s also super easy to prepare frm scratch with whole real food ingredients.
Here is an overview of how it’s prepared, the US and metric measurements are located at the bottom of this post. The video is the pop-up.
Peel and slice potatoes
Combine filling ingredients.
Arrange potatoes in a baking dish and cover with the filling and some more cheese.
Bake until golden and serve up.
I made my baked potato casserole countless times and with various changes.
The basic dish (as per the recipe in the card below) is a great side dish but you can turn it into a main course meal or a breakfast dish.
- add meats – chicken, ground beef, sausage, chorizo, bacon, leftover ham.
- add seasoning – paprika, nutmeg, thyme, rosemary or switch the italain seasoning with herbes de provence.
- switch the cream with sour cream or cream cheese with milk
- mushrooms or carrots
We enjoy the baked potato egg casserole as a vegetarian main course meal too by serving it with a simple green salad.
Other salads such as beet salad and carrot salad work really well too.
You can also serve the potato casserole as a side dish during the holidays with roast meats and ham.
Store leftovers in your fridge, covered, and consume within 2-3 days.
Just warm it up again in the dish in your oven or microwave.
You can freeze and prep it ahead. Make the potato casserole as per instructions but don’t bake it.
Place the casserole dish with the ingredients into your freezer and wait for it to freeze hard.
Then you are free to choose if you want to freeze it in the same casserole dish or if you want to wrap the frozen casserole ingredients in a cling film.
Keep it frozen for u to 3-4 months in your fridge.
To thaw, place the the casserole dish over night in the fridge OR place it into the oven and bake it for a total of 50-60 mins (instead of the 30 mins) or until it’s cooked through and ready to be enjoyed.
You don’t need to cover the dish with tin foil because the potatoes bake through easily if they are cut into slices and you want that golden baked crispy topping to form.
I like to use russet potatoes but you can choose whichever potato you like. That can be a mushy variety or a variety that holds it’s shape, the choice is up to depending on what you want as end result.
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Potato Egg Casserole Recipe
- 21 ounces Potatoes 2-3 medium sized
- Peel Potatoes and cut into thin slices.
- Combine in a bowl the filling ingredients. The egg, cream, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, mustard, and half of the grated cheese. Keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F/ 180° C.
- Arrange sliced potatoes in a casserole baking dish.
- Pour mixed filling over the potatoes and spread it out.
- Sprinkle the remaining half of the grated cheese over the filling and potatoes.
- Bake for about 30 mins at 350° F/ 180° C. uncovered until golden.
- Serve up hot.
- Use table cream, half and half, or whipping cream. Half and half contain fewer fats but the table and whipping cream would be more suitable because the fat quantity can help in binding better with the other ingredients.
- Dijon mustard is optional but I recommend that you add it because it adds great flavors to the dish and mustard is an emulsifier and it will blend and bind better with the other ingredients.
- 13" Rectangular Baking Dish
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.