Easy garden-fresh Zucchini Casserole recipe to celebrate the summer zucchini season.
About this baked Zucchini Casserole dish
I adapted this baked zucchini cheese casserole recipe from my aunt who prepares a similar variation with fresh cream the southern french way.
So this is a very french zucchini dinner recipe!
This delicious lighter summer meal is also known as zucchini au gratin, as it is baked golden brown to perfection.
The Zucchini is baked soft in one dish and doesn’t need pre-cooking, turn this recipe into a quick and easy zucchini recipe
You will love this healthy zucchini casserole with cheese if you are looking for a lighter gluten free and low carb vegetarian meal.
What Zucchinis to pick?
You can pick medium-sized (8 inch/20 centimeters), large and epic monster large Zucchinis.
The size doesn’t matter so much.
Store-bought Zucchini come in small and medium sizes, whereas homegrown Zucchini has a reputation to grow into massive vegetables.
The large ones tend to be less flavorful than the smaller ones but homegrown Zucchini are usually anyway tastier (or so I believe).
You only need to cut out the spongy core in the large Zucchinis and you are good to go.
Try this recipe too with other Zucchini varieties such as yellow Zucchini or round Zucchini.
Can I use frozen Zucchini?
Yes, you can!
If you have a whole frozen Zucchini, you can leave the vegetable to defrost in the fridge.
If you are in a hurry, place the zucchini to thaw in a closed bag and submerge into warm water.
Carefully press out any excess water or else the Zucchini gratin will turn out soggy.
To avoid sogginess, you can also add 1 Tablespoon of cornflour to the batter mixed in.
The cornflour will bind excess liquids and the gratin will turn out the best ever!
How to make Zucchini Casserole?
This is an easy zucchini casserole meal that comes together fairly quickly too.
The zucchini slices will cook through in the casserole dish making this a one-pan dish.
Follow the steps to prepare your own zucchini cheese bake from scratch.
Cut out the center of your Zucchini if it’s consistency is spongy.
Cut your Zucchini into slices and arrange in the casserole dish.
In a mixing bowl combine the cream, egg, cheese and the seasoning.
Pour the cheesy cream mixture over the zucchini in the casserole and drizzle with olive oil.
Bake golden brown.
See all detailed instructions and ingredients listed in the recipe card further below.
More Zucchini dinner Recipes
- Vegetarian Zucchini Boats
- Chinese Chicken Zoodles by runningtothekitchen.com
- Cheesy One-pan Zucchini skillet by peasandcrayons.com
Dear Reader, do you grow your own zucchini?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
Subscribe & Get your freE
Easy Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- Rinse your zucchini well to get rid of impurities. Cut your zucchini lengthwise and cut out the spongy seed core.
- Slice your zucchini and arrange in your casserole dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius.
- In a mixing bowl combine the egg, cheese, cream, Italian (or pizza) seasoning, salt and black pepper to a combined mixture.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over the arranged zucchini slices in the casserole dish.
- Drizzle the olive oil equally all over the uncooked zucchini casserole dish.
- Bake your zucchini casserole dish at 350° Fahrenheit/ 180° Celsius for about 25- 30 minutes or until golden brown baked.
- Serve hot with a cold salad.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.