A simple mushroom gravy recipe to serve with your chicken or steak dinner.
This is an overview of the ingredients that you need to help you get organized. All the adjustable US and metric measurements are located further below in the recipe card.
- mushroom - fresh button mushrooms are preferred. You can also use crimini, chanterelle, king oyster mushrooms.
- butter - the gravy turns out creamier and more flavoreful with butter. If you want to make it vegan, use vegetable oil.
- salt & black pepper
- all purpose flour - to build the roux, helps binding the sauce
- mace - a yellow/orange spice. Can be substituted with nutmeg too (because same plant). Can be skipped but I recommend adding either mace or nutmeg.
- beef broth - homemade or package beef broth. I like to use cubes too dissolved in hot water.
🔪 How to make it?
Did you know that preparing a mushroom gravy from scratch is super easy?
Here are the instructions in 3 easy to follow steps. Find all the details in the printable recipe card at the bottom.
Prep and slice mushrooms.
Melt the butter in a pan and stir in sliced mushrooms.
Season with salt, black pepper, and mace (or nutmeg).
Add some more butter with the flour to create a roux. Stir it all well.
Pour in beef broth and cook to infuse and reduce a bit.
Take out mace when done and serve up hot mushroom gravy.
🍴 More Serving Ideas
Some people like the sauce with a Schnitzel too, but I just want to point out that this is not how it is done in Austria (where Schnitzel originated). Yet, there is a mushroom gravy Schnitzel dish called Jägerschnitzel if you want to try that.
You can also add mashed potatoes to that or sweet potato mash. Rice or plain pasta is another great side choice.
The combination of meals is usually served on a festive holiday such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter but I just crave these foods all year round and they are easy to prepare from scratch, so why not make it a weekday or Sunday meal?
The mushroom gravy leftovers can be easily stored in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 4–5 days.
You can also freeze the gravy in freezer-friendly containers. Place the container overnight into your fridge to thaw or simply gradually reheat it in an oven-save the container in your oven or microwave over a low-temperature setting.
I like to use those IKEA-style rectangular glass containers because the food can be frozen and reheated in those (just reheated, not high heats). You also see your food easily, that way you don't forget about your leftovers.
Global Food Recipes
with Spices and Herbs
Free E-Book available for a limited time. Grab yours now and get instantly inspired!
You missed out!
Mushroom Gravy for Chicken or Steak Recipe
- Clean mushrooms. Try avoiding rinsing them because water gets stuck. Brush them or rinse them only if they had been treated with pesticides.16 Tablespoon Mushrooms
- Slice mushrooms and collect them in a bowl.
- Heat up a small saucepan with 3 tablespoon (of the 4 Tbsp) butter and wait for it to melt. Keep it over a moderate heat setting.4 Tablespoon Butter
- Sauté mushroom slices over a medium to high heat setting. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and mace (or nutmeg). Mit it well.½ Teaspoon Salt, ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper Ground, 1 piece Mace
- Once the mushrooms have been reduced, reduce the heat to slow. Make some space in the center and add 1 tablespoon butter. Wait for it to melt and add the flour to create a roux. Mit it all with the mushroom over a slow to medium heat setting.4 Tablespoon Butter
- Pour in beef broth and combine it all well. Keep over a medium heat setting.1½ cup Beef Broth
- The gravy will get formed, and it will reduce and thicken. When done, turn off the heat and take out the mace. Discard mace spice.
- Serve mushroom gravy hot.