Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice is the ultimate fall spice mixture, radiating warmth, and comfort.
Prepare your own DIY spice mix to create a superior quality of Pumpkin Pie Spice!
What is Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Pumpkin Pie Spice is a warm fall spice blend, popular across North America.
The spices used in the DIY seasoning combined compliment each other.
The spice blend is called pumpkin pie spice because that was the primary use before the spice mixture took off completely and people started to use it in all kinds of dessert and drinks.
I think Starbucks was the one to draw our attention to the comforting pumpkin spice flavors with their pumpkin spice latte.
Since that, we have been going crazy for those spice blend in all our foods and this won’t change so soon!
(More Recipe Ideas below the recipe card)
Grey Placemat in the picture
Pumpkin Pie Spice Ingredients
Quality spices are used to prepare this pumpkin pie spice.
You can start from zero with whole spices or use powdered versions.
For the best pumpkin pie spice, I suggest you try and use only whole ingredients.
It’s much more laborious but your efforts will pay off and will result in a pure, most amazing tasting pumpkin pie spice mixture.
The ingredients for this Pumpkin Pie Spice include:
Eventually, if you can’t get allspice, then you can skip it all together and increase by a tad tiny amount cinnamon, nutmeg and clove to make up for the allspice.
Yet, I personally always make it a point to add allspice because I think it defines the homemade pumpkin pie spice.
Otherwise, your pumpkin pie spice will kind of taste like a chai spice blend (which by the way you can substitute pumpkin pie spice with certain chai spice blend varieties)
Tip: Try to use organic untreated spices, fair trade spices or at least spices with a clear origin.
That way you know your spices are “clean” and of a better quality.
Organic Pumpkin Pie Spice is another reason why you should be making your own blend at home.
Spice health benefits and effects:
- Cinnamon – Great for digestion and to lower blood sugar
- Ginger Powder – Cold and Flue relieve
- Nutmeg – Relaxing
- Clove – Rich in antioxidants -> reduces cancer cell damage
- Allspice – Boosts immunity
I found a quote by the legendary medieval nun, Hildegard von Bingen.
She was all knowing about healthy plant-based foods and used to prepare cookies with some of these spices and I can see why we are all so obsessed about pumpkin pie spice!
In her words, you can learn that nutmeg spice is of great importance.
When a human being eats nutmeg it opens his heart, and his sense is pure, and it puts him in a good state of mind.
Take nutmeg and (in the same amount) cinnamon and some cloves and grind them up.
And then, from this powder and some water, make flour–and roll out some little tarts.
Eat these often and it will lower the bitterness of your heart and your mind and open your heart and your numbed senses.
It will make your spirit happy, purify and cleanse your mind, lower all bad fluids in you, give your blood a good tonic, and make you strong
How to make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice mix? [options]
To prepare homemade pumpkin pie spice mix from scratch, you can either start out with all the spices turned into powder already, or whole spices, or a mixture of both.
Pro & Cons of using whole or ground spices
- Pro – More intense flavor, superior pumpkin pie spice blend and actual health benefits from the spices for your body and mind
- Cons – Laborious and time-consuming, You will need a powerful blender with a spice jar for the super hard ingredients such as cinnamon.
- Pro – Prepare your own homemade pumpkin pie spice mix to your liking within a few minutes, totally effortless.
- Cons – Quality highly reduced due to the fact that ground spices are not fresh anymore and lost most of their flavor and health attributes over time
I usually use a mixture of whole and ground spices.
To turn cinnamon into powder is kind of a pain because after all cinnamon is a tree bark and it’s hard.
So I tend to use (honestly) cinnamon powder.
For the Ginger powder I sometimes use ready made ginger powder or I just peel a ginger cut it into slices, leave it to dry in the oven or sun and grind it to a fine powder.
For the Nutmeg is use a whole nutmeg which I scrape off.
I only use whole clove and allspice berries.
To turn these two ingredients into a powder I toast/dry fry them for a minute in a pan over high heat.
That way the humidity disappears from the spices and they get crisp and you can grind them quickly and easily in a mortar and pestle.
Once you have all the spices ground into a fine powder, you just need to add them all into a bowl and mix them.
Use directly further in a recipe or store in an airtight container well sealed until further use.
More homemade Spice blends and seasoning recipes:
- Chinese Five Spice
- Curry Powder
- Mexican Spice Blend
- Cajun Seasoning
- Creole Seasoning
- Jerk Seasoning
- Burger Seasoning
How to use the homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice? [Recipe Ideas]
These are some delicious ideas to add a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. After all, who can resist all these gorgeous autumn comfort flavors!
- Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats by DelightfulAdventures.com
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by SavorySimple.net
- Pumpkin Pie Whoopie Pies by FoodFolksandFun.net
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Cream Liqueur by AnItalianinmyKitchen.com
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Baked Apples by SprinklesandSprouts.com
- Pumpkin Spice Whipped Ricotta by TheSeasonedMom.com
- Spice Glazed Pumpkin Scones by TheLovenerds.com
Dear Reader, How are you going to use your homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice?Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix Recipe
- Mix all the powdered spices together in a mixing bowl.
- Store in an airtight container (best are transparent glass spice jars).
- When you use whole spices, toast so to say dry fry the spices first in a pan over the stove. That way the spices will get crispy and easier to grind with the mortar and pestle. Besides that, the dry frying is activating the spice’s aromatic flavors, so the spices will release their oils and get more intense. Hence this increases the quality of the pumpkin pie spice blend considerably.