Homemade juicy hamburger steak prepared in a skillet and served with a creamy colorful bell pepper sauce.
This is a one-pan low-carb friendly dish.
📕 What is this dish?
This dish was inspired and resembles a Salisbury steak.
The beef patty is the same but the sauce consists of sweet bell pepper and cream.
It's a great dinner meal idea, which I specifically created during the fall. The colors kind of reflects the colder days and vibrant foliage.
But feel free to make this all year round, bell peppers are available all the time.
Here is what you need. The detailed US and metric measurements with steps are located further below in the recipe card.
You can make the hamburger steaks from scratch or use storebought ones.
- ground beef - preferably 20-25% fats. The leaner the less tasty they will turn out. Fat carries all the flavors.
- bread crumbs
- salt and black pepper
- onion and garlic powder
- paprika - sweet and/or smoked
- ground coriander seeds (optional)
- dill seeds (optional)
For the bell pepper sauce:
- olive oil - extra virgin olive oil
- onion - white, yellow, purple or shallots
- garlic - fresh
- sweet bell peppers -red, orange, yellow. I like to use mini bell peppers
- paprika- sweet or smoked. If you want it hot spicy, use cayenne.
- caraway seeds - can be substituted with cumin but won't be the same taste experience
- salt and black pepper
- tomato sauce - plain flavored
- cream - can be heavy cream or half and half, whichever you can buy. It turns out thicker with heavy cream.
- water - skip water if you intend to use half and half
- parsley - fresh
🔪 How to make it?
Here is a quick overview to help you get going. Full recipe steps further below!
Combine all the hamburger ingredients. (quantities shown in the image and video for the meat are double to this recipe)
Shape them into balls and press them gently down to shape into discs.
Cook hamburger steaks on both sides in a skillet.
Take out hamburger steaks to prepare the sauce in the same skillet.
Sauté sliced onion, chopped garlic, and sliced bell pepper.
Season with paprika, caraway seeds, black pepper, and salt.
Pour in tomato sauce, cream, and water. Mix.
Turn off the heat when the sauce is thick enough and place hamburger steak back in.
Top with fresh parsley.
This dish goes well with cooked plain rice or clove and onion-flavored rice.
Also, instant wheatberries, mashed potatoes, or boiled potatoes can be served along.
A Side dish salad makes a great addition too. I like a light tangy lettuce salad or kale or rocket salad with these pan-cooked hamburger steaks in bell pepper sauce.
If you want to add more substance to your hamburger steak and gravy, place a fried egg over each burger. This should satisfy all big eaters!
This dish can be stored, making it a great meal prepping lunch or dinner meal idea.
In fact, the ground beef patties can be frozen too. Jut shape them and place them between cut-out baking sheets in a freezer-friendly dish.
The frozen burgers can be thawed in the fridge overnight or in a defrost setting in the oven or microwave.
If you have cooked leftovers, place them in a fridge container and refrigerate for up to 2-3 days.
Heat it up again in a skillet, oven, or microwave.
I love to store them in a glass container, which is also heatproof so that way you can just place the dish into your oven to heat up. Saves dishes!
Yes, you can. Just skip the steps where I show how to make homemade burger patties. Cook it the same way as per this recipe instructions. Get plainly flavored ones, so that the sauce can be served with the hamburger steaks.
You can use colorful normal-sized large bell peppers. I like the orange ones! In the recipe, I used mini sweet peppers. Those are small and give you an option to use different colored bell peppers.
Yes, and it is a recommended option because cast iron will crispen the outer side of your meat. But if you are more worried if the steaks will stick on, then use a PFOA and BPA-free non-stick skillet.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Skillet Hamburger Steak with Bell Pepper Sauce Recipe
For the hamburger steaks
For the bell pepper sauce
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 large Bell Pepper or 4 mini peppers
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds
- 2 Tablespoon Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup Cream heavy cream or half and half
- 2 Tablespoon Water skip this if you use half and half
- 2 Teaspoon Parsley chopped
Prepare hamburger steaks
- Place the ground beef in a mixing bowl.½ pound Ground Beef
- Add breadcrumbs, all the spices, and the egg.⅛ cup Breadcrumbs, ¼ Teaspoon Salt, ⅛ Teaspoon Black Pepper, ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder, ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ Teaspoon Paprika, ¼ Teaspoon Dill Seeds, ¼ Teaspoon Coriander Seeds ground, ½ Egg
- Combine the burger mass so that it is well mixed.
- Shape the equal-sized balls. Place them on a clean surface and gently press down to shape circle burger patties.
Prep fresh produce
- Dice onion, chop garlic, and slice bell pepper small.1 medium Onion, 1 clove Garlic, 1 large Bell Pepper
- Keep all the ingredients separate at the side nearby.
To cook the dish
- Heat up a skillet with olive oil and wait for it to get hot enough. Keep over a medium to high heat setting.1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Place hamburger beef patties into the pan and keep the same heat setting.
- Cook meat on both sides until cooked through. Reduce to a medium heat setting if it's too hot.
- Take the meat from the pan and keep it aside but keep the pan hot, on a slow to medium flame.
- Stir onion into the skillet and sauté until it has softened a bit. Stir in chopped garlic too and cook and mix for a minute or two.1 medium Onion, 1 clove Garlic
- Now, stir in the bell pepper slices and continue to cook it all over a medium heat setting until the bell pepper has softened.1 large Bell Pepper
- Season by adding paprika, caraway (or cumin), salt, and black pepper. Mix it all in.1 Teaspoon Paprika, Salt, 1 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds, ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Stir in tomato sauce, cream, and water. (if you use half and half, skip the water)2 Tablespoon Tomato Sauce, ½ cup Cream, 2 Tablespoon Water
- Mix and stir well over a slow heat setting. Wait 1-2 minutes for the sauce to form and when the consistency is right, turn off the heat.
- Place hamburgers back into the skillet between the sauce.
- Serve up hot with some fresh parsley sprinkled over that.2 Teaspoon Parsley
- You can use ready-made steaks in this recipe instead of homemade ones.
- The leaner the ground beef the less flavorful the meat. Try getting ground beef with at least 20-25% fats. (Mine is lean in the video and pictures because that's what we get...)
- It's optional to add the dill seeds and ground coriander seeds. Skip them if they are hard to get by. Add them if you want some great flavors in your burger meat.
- The meat measurements can be doubled. I originally made it for 8 patties, as you can see in the video and image. I had used 4 for this recipe and froze the other 4 between two layers of baking paper so that they can be easily taken out to thaw.