Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe makes a delicious weeknight meal. The fruity stir-fried rice is vegetarian and inspired by the Thai version with Indian flavors.
You can make this quick and easy pineapple fried rice recipe at home. Learn how to make pineapple fried rice easily from scratch with the step by step instructions and pictures further below.
Pineapple fried rice is one of those dishes I came across for the first time a few years ago in Sri Lanka.
Stir-fried rice dishes are very common in India and you can find this food favorite in most restaurants, shacks and roadside stalls.
The most favorite variations are vegetarian, chicken and prawn fried rice but a pineapple fried rice is something rather uncommon.
“Pineapple fried rice recipe is a favorite in Thailand”, or so did a Thai friend, who is married to a Goan friend, tell me.
I think this easy Pineapple fried rice recipe variation will be the next big fried rice dish, and that for a good reason!
Fried rice is an awesome way to reuse previously leftover rice. In fact, to make fried rice you need the rice to have been cooked way in advance so that the stir-fried dish doesn’t turn mushy.
How to make pineapple fried rice?
There are a few tricks you should know, so that succeed with any pineapple fried rice recipe!
- use long corn rice such as Basmati or Jasmin rice because they don’t get that sticky
- wash your rice first with cold water 2-3 times until the water is less cloudy
- cook the rice through but don’t overcook it!
- add a few drops of vinegar to the cooking rice in the pot, it will help in keeping the rice fluffy because the vinegar washes away the starch from the rice grain and starch is causing the rice to stick together. The small amount of vinegar won’t affect the flavor of the rice.
- Use cold rice from the fridge to make fried rice. The cold rice won’t make your fried rice mushy because rice tends to dry in the fridge and that’s what we need for the stir-frying.
- use a big Wok so that you can stir fry peacefully
- Prepare your ingredients first by cutting the veggies etc and keeping it all ready
- Stir fry on high heat and keep the content moving by adding in ingredients, one by one. Cooking fried rice from the beginning to the end should not take more than 10 minutes.
- don’t use more than 3 Tablespoons of oil
- Always add vinegar to your sauce (see recipe) because the vinegar in your sauce will not only give taste but also keep your rice fluffy.
If you follow these steps you will be able to make the best easy fried rice!
We are used to boiling rice in the western world and usually, we consume it straight away, but we are not used to cooking the rice and use it for stir frying purpose. I struggled in the past to cook fluffy non-sticky rice until my Asian husband taught me how to do it. 😉
It’s actually all about the technique and the rice type and I think you can do that too!
The Pineapple fried rice recipe is vegetarian and in fact even vegan and nut-free. It makes a great filling, quick and easy weeknight meal!
Drizzle a sauce such as Sri Racha, Sweet Chili Sauce or Tabasco over the pineapple fried rice for an extra flavor kick!
Easy Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe [Vegetarian]- Delicious Vegetarian Weeknight Meal below:
- 3 medium fresh Spring Onions
- 1 small Carrot or 30 grams or 1 oz
- 40 grams fresh Cabbage or 1.4 oz or ⅜ cup
- 70 grams Pineapple pieces or 2.5 oz or a little more than ¼ cup
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Homemade Ginger Garlic paste or store bought ginger garlic paste
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon dark liquid Soy Sauce
- ½ Teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Teaspoon Chill Sauce
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 150 grams cooked rice or ⅝ cup
- Prepare your fresh ingredients first, by washing them. Then slice the spring onion (keep some of the green stalk slices aside to use as garnish) and peel and cut the carrot small and chop the cabbage. If you use a fresh pineapple, cut off the outside of the pineapple, discard the core and cut your pineapple into bite-size chunks.
- Add the oil to the wok and heat up. Once hot add in the spring onion slices and cook for a minute. Then add the carrot and cabbage pieces. Cook and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Then add the Ginger Garlic paste and sir fry the whole content for another 2 minutes.
- In the meantime mix together the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, chili sauce and salt. Continue adding in the pineapple chunks to the wok and make sure that your wok is nice hot, so that the pineapple pieces get a bit cooked while frying.
- Then add the rice and stir fry the content quickly. Pour over the rice the soy sauce mixture and stir fry on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with the remaining spring onion slices.
More delicious quick & easy Weeknight meals 🥘
- Egg Fried Rice
- Pan Fried Salmon in white wine Sauce with Tagliatelle Pasta
- Vegetable Chow Mein – Vegetable Hakka Noodles
Dear Reader, do you cook frequently stir fried rice dishes at home?
Get FREE Recipes via Email:
Don’t miss a recipe, Subscribe to the Masala Herb Newsletter!
Note: The Post, Easy Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe, was first posted on the 28th November 2016 and has been enhanced and updated ever since.