15 mins to cook these spicy cilantro lime shrimp from scratch!
This dinner meal is for all those who want more zing in their life
I came up with this dish when I was preparing a simple sauteed butter garlic shrimp meal for us two at home.
I just felt like adding some more flavors to it. Chili pepper flakes add heat, lime add a light and fresh citrusy note, and cilantro rounds it all up.
You will need the following ingredients to make this spicy buttery shrimp dish.
- shrimp - I use fresh medium to large-sized shrimp (aka prawns) and no I don't keep the tails, that's just inconvenient.
- butter - creamy salty or unsalted butter. The choice is yours.
- garlic - fresh garlic all the way
- salt and black pepper
- lime juice
- crushed red chili pepper flakes
You can also add some more flavors at the end of the cooking process before you add the le juice such as orange marmalade or cumin powder.
How to make it?
The shrimps are cooked in a skillet, it's a one pot dish.
Here is a simple overview in how this dish comes together. You will take about 15 mins.
The complete recipe with US and Metric measurements is located in the printable recipe card further below.
Sauté chopped garlic in butter.
Stir in shrimp.
Season shrimp and cook on all sides.
Turn off heat, mix lime juice into your shrimp.
garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander and crushed red chili pepper flakes.
You have a couple of great options to enjoy your spicy cilantro lime shrimp. Here are some ideas:
- rice - plain rice, lemon rice, coconut rice
- taco - as a taco filling with slaw, avocado, or tomatoes
- wheat berries - I love my seafood with instant wheat berries such as ebly wheat berries.
- rice and beans - black beans, kidney beans, or chickpeas are great with shrimp
- lettuce wrap filling + spicy sriracha mayo
- quinoa salad bowl
- zucchini noodles or real pasta noodles
- with cut fresh avocado, green salad, and a picco de gallo salsa of your choice. I like mango salsa but peach salsa is even better.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 2 days.
Try to not leave leftovers.
Shrimp lose their quality quickly ones cooked. That's due to the protein breaking down.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Spicy Cilantro Lime Shrimp Recipe
- Heat up a skillet and melt your butter. Keep over a medium to low heat setting.
- Stir in chopped garlic and sauté over a lower heat setting. The garlic shouldn't turn brown.
- Stir in fresh shrimp and spread out in the pan. Keep on a medium heat setting.
- Sauté shrimps for about 2 minutes and season with salt and black pepper.
- Turn all the shrimps so that they get evenly cooked on all sides.
- Finish cooking shrimp over a medium heat setting. Cook them until they look cooked through but still juicy. Don't overcook!
- Take the pan from the heat and stir in lime juice.
- Top with chopped fresh cilantro/coriander and crushed red pepper flakes.
- You can garnish it too with lime wedges. The dish will look all the more delicious!