We love Chicken Paprikash at home and over time I created a quick and easy paprikash prepared in one-pot only.
What is Chicken Paprikash?
Chicken Paprikash is a chicken in sour cream paprika sauce dish from Hungary.
The dish is better known as Paprikás Csirke in Hungarian.
This dish is as popular as goulash in hungary and includes a lot of paprika.
Authentic chicken paprikash calls for in-bone chicken cuts, just like a curry.
Ingredients in my easy chicken paprikash
The main ingredients in this dish are chicken, paprika and sour cream.
I will explain these in more detail.
Pick whatever chicken you prefer to make this dish.
I used in bone chicken skinless drumsticks.
You can use boneless chicken cubes too if you prefer.
I don’t like to cook saucy chicken meals with skin on the chicken but you can leave on the skin if you like.
My former Hungarian chef colleague introduced me to this dish and he would leave on the skin, which is apparently common n Hungary.
Use sweet paprika in this chicken paprikash.
There are three common paprika tastes in Hungarian cooking.
- Sweet & Mild Paprika (édes)
- Hot Paprika (csípős)
- Smoked Paprika (füstölt)
Paprika can be mild and smoked too or hot and smoked.
Pick sweet pepper, which can be smoked too, in this paprika chicken dish because it compliments the meat better and because a lot of paprika is used in the recipe.
The Hungarian pepper sauce is thickened and enriched with sour cream.
You can also use regular thick cream, such as creme fresh in this dish if you can’t get sour cream.
Sour cream adds a slight tangy touch to the gravy flavor, which makes this dish so amazingly delicious!
Chicken Paprikash also includes onion, tomato paste to thicken the sauce black pepper, broth, garlic powder, butter, olive oil and whipping cream (for the sauce as well).
How to make Chicken Paprikash?
To prepare easy and the best chicken paprikash recipe from scratch, simply follow these steps.
Complete recipe card with ingredients and details to print further below.
Keep all ingredients ready, heat up a pan with the oil and cook the onions soft.
Add tomato paste, paprika and chicken pieces.
Mix in chicken stock/broth and season well
Cook the chicken on all sides and make sure to stir frequently.
Add the sour cream with the whipping cream, mix in and cook further to a thick paprika sauce
How to serve the Hungarian Chicken in Paprika Sauce?
In Hungary, people usually serve the saucy paprika chicken dish with so-called nokedli.
Nokedli is the Hungarian name for Spaetzle noodles.
You can also serve the Hungarian chicken paprikash recipe with dumplings, as in Austrian Nockerl or Italian Gnocchi.
I like to serve up my paprika chicken with tagliatelle noodles or even plain cooked rice.
More Hungarian Recipes
Dear Reader, have you tried the recipe?
Chicken Paprikash Recipe
How to Video
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Onion chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Paprika powder sweet
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Sauce
- 4 piece Chicken Drumsticks *see Notes
- 1 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Water mixed with concentrated Stock or broth, *see Notes
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Sour Cream or Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Whipping Cream
- Keep all ingredients ready
- Heat up a shallow pan or pot with the olive oil.
- Cook the chopped onion soft, add the tomato sauce and paprika and stir cook for a minute.
- Reduce or take from heat and place the chicken pieces into the pan and add some butter to it.
- Cook the chicken a bit on all sides by turning the pieces over medium to slow heat.
- Pour the water mixed with concentrated stock/broth over the chicken in the pot and mix it all a bit.
- Season with black pepper, salt and garlic powder and mix.
- Cook the chicken on medium to low flame, while turning everything once in a while. Cook for about 10 -15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream and whipping cream.
- Before you add the sour cream and whipping cream to the chicken dish, add some of the cooking hot paprika chicken sauce to the sour and whipping cream to temper and mix.
- Then add the sour and whipping cream turned pink to the chicken dish.
- Mix everything well and cook for another 2-3 minutes on medium to low heat or until the sauce thickens and the chicken in cooked.
- Serve hot with noodles, spaetzle or rice (see suggestions in post).
- I used skinless chicken drumsticks but you can use boneless chicken cuts too or other in-bone chicken cuts with or without skin.
- Use sweet paprika and not the hot paprika variety. IT can be smoked paprika too.
- You can use concentrated stock mixed with water (50:50) or Maggi cubes mixed in warm water or packet broth.
- Sour Cream is usually used in this recipe to add tanginess to the dish but you can also use thick cream or Crème fraîche.