Super-duper extra crispy baked chicken wings with 2 ingredients only!
So you love extra crispy chicken wings? This is your basic recipe to make your own crispy wings easily at home.
This recipe is also the base for homemade buffalo chicken wings!
Here is what you need to make this:
- chicken wings - same size all recommended and try getting free-range chicken.
- baking powder - yep that's what makes the wings super crispy. Get baking powder without aluminum!
- salt and black pepper - optional but a must if you plan on having your wings plain without a sauce coating.
You can season your wings further. You can add Cajun, creole, jerk or a Mexican seasoning.
How to make it?
Here is a quick overview on how it's done in a nutshell. (for those of you standing in a grocery store and in a hurry).
Full recipe with US and metric measurements in the recipe card further below.
Pat dry chicken wings to absorb all waters. The wings should be dry.
Sprinkle baking powder (and a pinch salt or pepper if you like) over the wings and coat them well with it.
Keep a broiler pan with a rack insert ready.
Place chicken wings on the rack.
Roast chicken both sides at 400 Fahrenheit/ 200 Celsius for about 1 hour or until golden.
Coat wings with your favorite wing sauce.
These are simple 2 ingredient chicken wings. That means you can coat them with your favorite sauce when they are coming out freshly roasted from the oven.
Here are some of my favorite sauce to use. You can mix and match too!
- buffalo sauce - a classic buttery hot sauce. You can't go wrong with this one!
- Honey BBQ sauce
- Mango Habanero Sauce - Extremely hot fruity sauce!
- Japanese teriyaki sauce - for Asian flavors and sprinkle some sesame seeds over that.
- sticky soy sauce glaze
- Korean gochujang sauce - sweet and spicy hot!
- Apricot Jam - yep just apricot jam. Tastes sweet and sticky!
Try to avoid having wing leftovers they don't store that well. They will lose their crispness and get soggy on the outside.
You can store them for up to one day or so in an airtight container in the fridge. Then pop them back into the oven to heat up and hopefully they will get at least a bit crispy again.
I recommend baking at 400 F./ 200 C. for one hour. If you want to bake them at a slower rate, bake at 350 F./ 180 C. for about 1h 20 min. If you want to bake them faster roast your chicken wings at 425 F./ 220. C. Bake until golden and super crispy!
Pick a baking powder without aluminum in it, or else your wings will taste metallic. I know, I know! I can't believe that they add aluminum in baking powders.
Use cornstarch instead of baking powder (called cornmeal or maizena in some places). It will crispen well too but of course not that extra crispy as with baking powder. Baking powder also contains cornstarch, it's a buffer between the base and acid in the powder.
I recommend thawing your frozen wings first before you coat them with baking powder. Or else they will get weirdly soggy and they won't crispen that well.
You can but the wings won't get that crispy because they will be sitting and cooking in their own juices. The rack elevated the wings and so the chicken juices drop down into the pan. This is a main step to super crispy wings!
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- 6-7 piece Chicken Wings all same size is better
- 1½ Tablespoon Baking Powder the one without aluminium
- pinch Salt or Black Pepper optional
- Your Wing Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit/ 200 Celsius.
- Pat dry your chicken wings with a clean kitchen towel. They should be very dry or else they won't crispen later and the baking powder will turn out pastry.
- Place wings in a mixing bowl and coat with baking powder. All wings should be well coated. You can add a pinch salt or black pepper too.
- Prepare a broiler/roasting pan by placing a tray or griddle over it. That way the chicken will be able to dry on it during the roasting process and excess liquids will fall into the pan under the tray/grid.
- Place and spread wings over the tray so that they all have space on it.
- Place tray with chicken into the oven (3rd or center position in your oven) and roast for about 1 hour at 400 Fahrenheit/ 200 Celsius or until golden. Turn the chicken half way between the roasting period.
- Take out chicken when done and place chicken imidiatly into a mixing bowl. Coat with your favorite wing sauce, so that wings are fully coated.
- Serve up and enjoy! 😀
- Broiling and roasting insert and pan