Super crispy oven baked buffalo chicken wings.
Prepared with a homemade buffalo sauce or use a store bought buffalo sauce.
What are buffalo chicken wings?
Buffalo wings are crispy chicken wings coated with a spicy, buttery red hot buffalo sauce.
A buffalo sauce consists of a hot sauce and butter and it was invented in Buffalo New York (US).
You will only need 3 ingredients to make this from scratch.
- whole chicken wings - all same size if possible
- baking powder - not baking soda!
- buffalo sauce - I used my homemade zesty buffalo sauce (chick-fil-a inspired) but you can use a store-bought buffalo sauce too
The baking powder is required to make those chicken wings super crispy. It's used like a dry rub.
I read about this technique in a Reddit thread and tried it right after that. There is no better way to make crispy wings!
Also, cornflour is an option to make crispy wings but baking powder sucks the liquids better from the skin, making it extra crispy.
Just make sure that you use baking powder without aluminum in it (yep some baking powders contain aluminum, no kidding) so that it doesn't taste bitter or odd.
How to make it?
Here is an overview on how to make your own easy hot wings at home.
The complete recipe with measurements and detailed steps in located in the recipe card further below.
Pat dry chicken wings to absorb all waters. The wings should be dry.
Sprinkle baking powder over the wings and coat them well with it.
Keep a broiler pan with a rack insert ready.
Place chicken wings on the rack.
Roast chicken both sides at 400 Fahrenheit/ 200 Celsius for about 1 hour or until golden.
Take out when done and quickly coat hot wings with buffalo sauce.
I love wings with beer and a dip such as a cream dip.
The most popular sauces for original game day buffalo wings are a blue cheese sauce or a ranch dip.
I also love love love potato wedges or French fries with my wings.
Normally buffalo wings are served as a snack but Paul likes his as a main course meal with a salad such as a corn and bean salad (the one seen in the picture at the side.
Consume your wings when still hot and just coated for the best buffalo wings. Don't keep them standing for too long or else they get soggy.
Bake for 1 hour with this heat setting.
No, don't cover them but make sure that the wings sit on a rack where excess liquids can fall off into the pan under the rack. That way the wings will turn out super crisp. I use a miele broiler insert.
Well depends on what you mean with healthy. These are rich in proteins and fats, making my buffalo chicken wings low carb and even keto friendly. But I don't think buffalo chicken wings can be considered a healthy food. It's a comfort food.
Add the sauce right after taking the wings out of the oven. The wings have to be hot and that's when you coat your wings quickly in this spicy buttery sauce so that the sauce sticks to the crispy chicken.
Oven Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe
- 6-7 piece Chicken Wings all same size is better
- 1½ Tablespoon Baking Powder the one without aluminium
- 5 Tablespoon Buffalo Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit/ 200 Celsius.
- Pat dry your chicken wings with a clean kitchen towel. They should be very dry or else they won't crispen later and the baking powder will turn out pastry.
- Place wings in a mixing bowl and coat with baking powder. All wings should be well coated.
- Prepare a broiler/roasting pan by placing a tray or griddle over it. That way the chicken will be able to dry on it during the roasting process and excess liquids will fall into the pan under the tray/grid.
- Place and spread wings over the tray so that they all have space on it.
- Place tray with chicken into the oven (3rd or center position in your oven) and roast for about 1 hour at 400 Fahrenheit/ 200 Celsius or until golden. Turn the chicken half way between the roasting period.
- Take out chicken when done and place chicken imidiatly into a mixing bowl. Coat with buffalo sauce, so that wings are fully coated with the hot buttery sauce.
- Serve up asap! 😀
- Broiling and roasting insert and pan