Recently here, tastes and ingredient choices have changed. Blame the crazy sudden heat, the happenings, the new year, in fact the cause for that could be anything. Maybe the enthusiasm of some gym visitors has infected me, I feel like diving into some weight training again. It has been a while, I have to confess, but I can change that if I trick myself with a little treat. That’s where the Homemade Protein Bars are introduced to the game. One needs to trick oneself to keep up with the training, that’s my motto and of course the Protein Bars should stabilize my motivation and interest to keep up the good work. Does the mind game sound familiar to you?
Protein Bars are a healthy snack designed to feed your cells and muscles, I love them but they are sometimes very pricey and the bottom line is that most of those commercial bars taste horrible. Since our #sundaysupper theme is going all skinny this weekend, I decided to finally share my smooth homemade Protein Bar recipe. It took me some time to come up with the formula and I wouldn’t have made it without my dear friend Shannon from Just as Delish. She is an expert in healthy food choice, in fact she is the man when its about Health Bars and Yoghurt. Just recently she was featured in a Malaysian food show for her incredible homemade yogurt! Shannon’s assistance was priceless, no doubt.
This pretty little Protein Bars include Protein rich ingredients such as oats, flax seeds, different nuts, dried fruits and milk powder. No Protein powder was included here! Not that I am totally against Protein powder, but we have a feeling that they don’t always work with everybody and they can be pretty expensive in the long run. By keeping out the Protein powder in this recipe, you know at least what was included in your bars and the milk powder is anyway rich in Protein and it replaces the Protein powder like non another here. Further, the nuts provide a good amount of Essential Omega Lipids, which our body requires together with the proteins to build up lean muscles.
In general this protein bars are better digested in smaller sizes, therefore mine weighted around 70 grams, which is a nice portion for a girl. Maybe boys would need a bigger intake to feed their muscles. Anyway you can cut them up as you like and then store them in the fridge.
- 250 grams Oats
- 40 grams Flax Seeds
- 50 grams Walnuts
- 70 grams roasted Peanuts
- 50 grams scraped Coconut
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 70 grams Almond Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Milk powder
- 50 grams Raisins
- 60 grams Dates
- 5 Tablespoons Honey
- 200 milliliter hot Water
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil for greasing the mold
- First we will grind the dry ingredients fine. Grind your Oats, Flax Seeds, Walnuts and Peanuts and place the ground ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Grind the scraped Coconut with the Coconut Oil and add it to the dried ingredients. Also add the Almond flour and Milk powder to the mixture.
- Continue to grind the Raisins. It will turn into a sticky mass. Keep aside.
- Remove the seed core from the Dates and grind those as well (I had to put my machine on and off or it wouldn't have worked, the mass is very heavy and sticky and some mixers don't take it).
- Add the Raisin and Dates mixture to the other mixed ingredients and crumble the dried fruits with your hands into the other dry ingredients so that they get properly incorporated.
- To finish the mass mix your honey into the hot Water and pour it all over. Mix it properly!
- Preheat your oven to 160 Celcius.
- Now grab your mold, preferably a squared one (I don't own a squared one as you can see) to make your life easier, and grease it with the Coconut Oil. Pour/place your mass equally into the mold.
- Bake it at 160 Celcius for about 20 minutes. It should be still soft and not too dry when ready. Keep it to cool and then cut your bars into your desired size. Store in the fridge!
More healthy bar recipes:
My #Sundaysupper friends are sharing their super healthy skinny recipes.
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No one Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cutie Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcake & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Kale and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Road trip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate avocado cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!
You might like...
Latest posts by Helene Dsouza (see all)
- Carrot Apple Ginger Juice – Fresh juice for a healthier you - January 21, 2017
- Winter Veal Stew – French Ragout Recipe - January 16, 2017
- Spice Garden Goa – Spice Plantation & Farm in India - January 9, 2017