A Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe to use as a Marinara Pizza topping or as a Pasta Sauce or even in baked Lasagna. Homemade and freshly prepared from scratch!
A Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe in all its glory. Yes that's what we need, don't you think so?
This is a revamped Italian style Tomato Marinara with spicy hot vibes.
I add fresh chili peppers to pep up this tomato sauce.
The Tomato Sauce is prepared form scratch and can be kept in the fridge to be used another day.
Paul's favorite sauce is this spicy tomato sauce.
I have a couple of amazing uses for this homemade tomato sauce!
Homemade Spicy Tomato Sauce uses
- as a Pizza topping or in a Calzone
- as a Pasta Sauce - for example, Fra Diavolo Shrimp Sauce with Spaghetti or as a Potato Gnocchi Sauce
- in Lasagne
- over homemade juicy meatballs
- to thicken Indian Curries
- over Bruschetta Appetizers
What tomatoes to use for a homemade tomato sauce?
You can pick your favorite quality (and maybe organic) tomatoes if you have a good choice in your corner of the world.
Some people swear on San Marzano tomatoes or others prefer Roma tomatoes.
You may use canned peeled San Marzano tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes. (although I personally prefer to use real fresh ingredients)
Tomato Sauce variations
Italians always make their tomato sauce from scratch and they store it in clean canning jars.
I was once told that every family in Italy has its own particular pasta sauce recipe.
While making the spicy tomato sauce, you are free to increase or decrease the number of chili peppers in the recipe.
You can use mild jalapenos if you like or spicy hot habaneros if you dare.
If you like it super mild, I suggest you try to substitute the pepper chillis with paprika powder.
Using smoked paprika powder can add even more flavor to your pasta or pizza tomato sauce!
Dear reader, how did you use this spiced tomato sauce
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe for Pasta and Pizza
- 2.2 Pounds Tomato fresh
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 1 large Onion sliced
- 1-3 pieces Chili Pepper fresh, slit into half
- 1 Tablespoon Basil fresh chopped or dried
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley fresh chopped or dried
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper ground optional, or Paprika
- Salt to taste
- 2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 cup Water
- First Rinse your Tomatoes well to get rid of any impurities. Keep a big pot with boiling water ready. You need to peel the tomatoes and the easiest way to do this is by blanching them. That means you make a few cuts into the tomato skin and then you drop them into the boiling water for 1-3 minutes or until you can see the tomato skin detaching from the pulp. Take the tomatoes out and directly into a bowl with ice water to cool them down. Peel the tomatoes one by one, discard the skin.
- Pour in the water and mix all well. Cook on slow heat covered for about 30 minutes or until reduced.
- Fill up and store in clean and sterilized jars with lids in the fridge and use within a week.
- Makes about 2.2 pounds or about 1 liter, and about 5 pasta sauce uses. This is just an approximate.
- You can, of course, use the sauce the way you like and that way you might use less of it in a dish or appetizer.
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.