Savory Crepes are a common sight in France – not just sweet crepes – and they appear in all different variations with tasty regional filling and types of crepes doughs.
Today, I decided to focus on the savory crepes, prepared with buckwheat and stuffed with ham and egg.
These crepes are better known as Galette Bretonne in France!
Learn how to make savory galette bretonne crepes from scratch with the step by step pictures and recipe instructions below.
Sometimes our heart aches for food that seems light but satisfies the inner cravings of an omnivore.
Savory crepes parcels can be just that. This is a dish that will awaken your feeling of completeness, which you will notice after the first bite and it will remain with you until the last bit.
Savory crepes are often quite forgotten in a sweet world full of sugar monsters. Savory crepes are better known as Galette.
I personally enjoy savory crepes in all forms I make them frequently in my home and the savory crepes with ham and egg, aka the Galette Bretonne, is a highlight among all others.
The original Galette Bretonne, also known as Galette complete (a complete Galette in terms of nutrition), is called that way because they are not just made with simple wheat flour.
The Galette Bretonne savory crepes earned that name because Buckwheat flour is added to the liquid dough and the dough is prepared with water instead of milk. That’s what makes the difference to a regular Crepes recipe.
I am an advocate for healthier varieties of grains, so these savory crepes stuffed with ham and egg are a great way to include buckwheat flour in your cooking.
Now if you don’t get buckwheat flour, then you can just exchange it with whole wheat flour until you get a chance to cook with buckwheat flour in the future.
Often while ancient grains tend to be cheaper in some parts of the world. For example in India, local crops are ancient grains, so you do get these flours in local markets but under other local exotic name.
In French, buckwheat is known as Sarrasin and you can usually easily buy the flour in all major supermarkets on a budget in France.
Other MasalaHerb.com Videos
Savory Crepes Recipe – Buckwheat Crepes with Ham and Egg aka Galette Bretonne below:
- 90 Grams Whole Wheat sieved flouror 3.2 oz
- 30 Grams Buckwheat sieved flouror 1 oz
- 1 Egg
- pinch Salt
- 25 milliliter Water or 0.85 fl oz
- 20 grams Butter or 0.7 oz
- 4 ham slices
- 4 cheese slices
- 4 Eggs
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- fresh cut Chives to ganish
- Mix all the Crepes dough ingredients together to a smooth liquid dough. It has to be more liquid or you won't be able to spread it well into the hot pan while frying, because you need thin Crepes.
- Then heat up your pan, add ½ Tablespoon Butter to it. Add nearly 1 ladl of liquid dough to the hot oily pan, spread well by turning the pan quickly and fry both sides until they are a bit golden.
- Then add a slice of ham onto the Crepes/Galette and a slice of Cheese. Continue by breaking the egg into the center of the ham Crepes. Season with Salt, Pepper and add fresh chopped Chives. Carefully close the Crepes by folding in on both sides or all 4 sides so to create a parcel. Cook further until the egg is done.
- Serve hot sprinkled with some cut green fresh chives.
Related to the Savory Crepes Recipe:
- Crepes ficelle Picard
- Asparagus Ham Roll-ups
- Spinach Chicken Crepes by sugarandsoul.co
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole by Shockinglydelicious.com
To cook Crepes use a crepes/flatbread pan
Dear Reader, do you like savory Crepes?
What’s your favorite savory Crepes recipe/dish?
The post, savory crepes, was first published at masalaherb.com on the 17th November 2015 and has been updated and enhanced ever since.