Galette Bretonne is a savory buckwheat crepe that is stuffed with ham, a fried egg, and cheese.
You can make your own delicious stuffed buckwheat crepes recipe to enjoy as a savory breakfast crepes, brunch or lunch meal.
What are Galette Bretonnes?
French Galette Bretonnes are savory buckwheat crepes that are stuffed with a layer of ham, cheese and a fried egg.
Savory Crepes are a common sight in France – and not just sweet crepes – and they appear in all different variations with tasty regional filling and types of crepes doughs.
These buckwheat galette bretonne recipe will awaken your feeling of completeness. They are a complete meal, low calorie and so delicious!
Savory crepes are better known as Galette.
I personally enjoy savory crepes in all forms I make them frequently in my home and the savory crepes with ham and egg, aka the Galette Bretonne, is a highlight among all others.
The original Galette Bretonne, also known as Galette complète (a complete Galette in terms of nutrition), is called that way because they are not just made with simple wheat flour.
The Galette Bretonne savory crepes earned that name because Buckwheat flour is added to the liquid dough and the dough is prepared with water instead of milk. That’s what makes the difference to a regular Crepes recipe.
I am an advocate for healthier varieties of grains, so these savory crepes stuffed with ham and egg are a great way to include buckwheat flour in your cooking.
Now if you can’t get buckwheat flour, then you can just exchange it with whole wheat flour until you get a chance to cook with buckwheat flour in the future.
Galette Bretonne Name Variations
In French, buckwheat is known as Sarrasin and you can usually easily buy the flour in all major supermarkets on a budget in France.
The buckwheat flour crepes, Galette Bretonne, is also known as crepe sarrasin, galette de sarrasin or even simply as crepe bretonne in france.
This french galette recipe is prepared all over France in so-called crepe “bars”. The tastiest that I came across were in Bretonny and in Amiens in Picardy.
Galette Bretonne Recipe
- 4 Tablespoon Butter for each crepes one tbs
For the filling:
- 4 Ham Slices
- 4 Cheese Slices
- 4 Eggs
- pinch Salt
- pinch Pepper
- Chives fresh cut, to garnish
- Mix all the Crepes dough ingredients together to a smooth liquid dough. It has to be more liquid or you won't be able to spread it well into the hot pan while frying, because you need thin Crepes.
- Then heat up your pan, add 1/2 Tablespoon Butter to it. Add nearly 1 ladle of liquid dough to the hot oily pan, spread well by turning the pan quickly and fry both sides until they are a bit golden.
- Continue by breaking the egg into the center of the ham Crepes. Season with Salt, Pepper and add fresh chopped Chives. Carefully close the Crepes by folding in on both sides or all 4 sides so to create a parcel. Cook further until the egg is done.
- Serve hot sprinkled with some cut green fresh chives.
Related to the Savory Crepes Recipe:
Dear Reader, do you like savory Crepes?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
The post, savory crepes, was first published at masalaherb.com on the 17th November 2015 and has been updated and enhanced ever since.