A simple but flavorful tortellini dinner meal idea, coated in a skillet with lemon, garlic, basil and olive oil.
Here is an overview of the ingredients and the process. That should give you an idea how it comes together.
The full recipe with US and metric measurements is located further below in the recipe card.
- tortellini - I recommend spinach ricotta tortellini with this recipe
- lemon zest - from an untreated organic lemon (no pesticides)
- salt and black pepper
- garlic - fresh
- olive oil
- basil - fresh
- parmesan (optional)
🔪 How to make it?
The detailed process is in the recipe card further down.
Keep ingredients ready. Peel and chop lemon or zest lemon with a zester, chop garlic.
Cook tortellini as per package instructions.
Heat up a skillet with olive oil and sauté garlic.
Add chopped lemon zest and seasoning.
Stir in cooked tortellini.
Top with fresh basil and parmesan.
We just love our tortellini with lemon and olive oil as is.
But a small side dish salad works great with it too.
Pick and make a salad to serve along:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Heat up again in the oven, microwave or gradually in a skillet.
Add some new fresh basil after reheating and some parmesan.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Lemony Olive Oil Tortellini Recipe
- 17.6 ounces Tortellini *see Notes
- Salt Water
Flavored Olive Oil
- Peel lemon but don't peel the white pith (that's the bitter part). Chop the lemon finely. If you have a lemon zester, you can use that instead to prepare fine lemon zest
- Peel and chop garlic fine.
- Keep fresh basil and other ingredients ready.
- Bring a pot with salt water to boil.
- Place tortellini in boiling saltwater and boil as per package instructions. They are done when they swim to the surface. Take from the water and keep aside.
Flavored Olive Oil
- Heat up a skillet with olive oil and saute garlic over a medium to low heat setting.
- Stir in chopped lemon peel and keep over the same heat setting. Stir for a minute or so.
- Season with salt and black pepper and mix in. Take from the heat.
- Toss tortellini in flavored olive oil.
- Top with fresh basil and parmesan.
- Serve up hot and enjoy.
- Pick a lemon that hadn't been sprayed with pesticides! Just peel a whole lemon and use what you need to make this dish. The rest of the chopped peel can be used in other dishes in the future. Store in an airtight container in your fridge.
- We love spinach ricotta tortellini. Try getting two packs of 8.8 ounces tortellini if you want to use the base measurement for 2 servings.
- I recommend using grated or shaved parmigiano reggiano as parmesan cheese topping.