This is a non-traditional green bean casserole, prepared without mushroom and fried onions.
You can use fresh or frozen green beans to prepare this dish from scratch.
The vegetable casserole is a low carb vegetarian dish. Here is a list of ingredients:
- green Beans
- cream (Heavy or table cream)
- black pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Dijon mustard
- olive oil
How to make this Green Bean Casserole?
Here is an overview for you, so that you get an idea how the casserole dish comes together.
The complete recipe with US and metric measurements is located at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Boil Green Beans for a few minutes (blanch) and place into ice water (so that they retain green color and to stop the cooking process).
Combine in bowl eggs, cream, seasoning and mustard.
Spread green beans in a casserole dish and pour egg-cream mixture over green beans.
Sprinkle cheese and olive oil over that and bake until cooked through and golden.
This non-traditional green bean casserole can be served as a side dish on a holiday or as a vegetarian weekday main course meal.
We love it with a light green salad or a shredded carrot salad.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Or cover your casserole dish with a cling film and store that way in the fridge but consume soon.
To warm up, simply place into your oven and heat up until warm enough to serve.
You can also freeze your green bean casserole!
In that case, prepare the recipe as per instructons but don't bake it in the oven.
Instead place the casserole dish into your freezer and freeze hard.
To thaw, place into the fridge over night.
You can place it into the oven frozen too but add another 20-30 mins to the cooking time or watch it cook and test if it's cooked through and done.
Some of you will be accustomed to the cream of mushroom fried onion variation of green bean casserole served for thanksgiving. Well, this recipe is an alternative to that and I wanted it to be clear in the title.
Use coconut cream and skip the cheese or use vegan grated cheese.
You can use fresh green beans or frozen. Both need to be blanched. You can use canned green beans too if you are used to using those, I don't have experience using canned green beans.
Dear Reader, did you try the Recipe?
Please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas with us in the comment section further below!
PIN to save for later!
So you love SPICES and HERBS?
GET 5 FREE SEASONING LESSONS
Type in your email address below.
Including free access to the
Seasoning Members only Club!
Non-Traditional Green Bean Casserole Recipe
To blanch (cook short) Green Beans
- 12 ounce Green Beans fresh or frozen, *see Notes
- Water to cover beans
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Prep your green beans if they are fresh by rinsing and cutting off ends. If frozen thaw them.
- Keep a pot to boil with water and salt. Place green beans into boiling water and blanch (cook for short time) for about 5 minutes.
- Take out green beans and place them into ice water to stop the cooking process and to help retain the green color. Keep aside
- Preheat oven to 400° F./ 200° C.
- Prepare the filling in a bowl. Combine eggs, cream, dijon mustard, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and half quantity of the cheese together.
- Spread green beans in a casserole dish and pour filling over the green beans.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the green beans in the casserole and the olive oil
- Bake at 400° F./ 200° C for 20-15 mins until golden.
- Serve hot
- You can choose to use fresh green beans, frozen or canned beans.
- I used heavy cream in the video recipe, you can use table cream too
- I used a blend of cheddar and parmesan. You can use whatever cheese you like. Use half of the quantity for the cream egg blend and the other half to top the green bean casserole.
- Small Pot
- 13" Rectangular Baking Dish
This post may contain affiliate links that point to things or services that I recommend. This may include Amazon, getyourguide and booking.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.